• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cater Allen - Terminated account 60 days notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    +1, just found them myself this morning, opened an account in less than 15 minutes, including getting login details via text/email (username to 1, password to the other).

Just in time for my Barclays Direct (previously ING Direct) 2% rate ending
    Hope you guys are right - I've just done the same
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      Hope you guys are right - I've just done the same
      I've had one for a couple of months after my ING/Barclays rate ended. No problems at all. I don't want to tempt fate, but there's relatively little to ***** up with an online savings account.

Comment

Pretty sad

I joined Cater Allen as a contractor and for upwards of 20 years have been recommending people to them, both personally and in my articles. Never screwed me around not once and were actually helpful.

Now it seems they are just becoming another Barclays.
        My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

"The person at the call centre wouldn't tell me why" is not the same as "the bank wouldn't tell me why"
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            "The person at the call centre wouldn't tell me why" is not the same as "the bank wouldn't tell me why"
            They think you are a fraudster.

Check your credit record with all the credit references agencies. There has been cases of experian mixing up two or more people's details.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              I've had one for a couple of months after my ING/Barclays rate ended. No problems at all. I don't want to tempt fate, but there's relatively little to ***** up with an online savings account.
              They've just sent my first payment back, because they can only accept a payment from one designated bank account and I transferred from a different one.

So I now need to transfer from my Santander savings account into the current account into their account.

Not a big deal, and they rang to explain what had happened, but a minor niggle.
              I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                They've just sent my first payment back, because they can only accept a payment from one designated bank account and I transferred from a different one.

So I now need to transfer from my Santander savings account into the current account into their account.

Not a big deal, and they rang to explain what had happened, but a minor niggle.
                True, but I think this is pretty standard; at least it has been on all of my online savings accounts across various banks, whether business or personal. Ultimately, it's probably a good measure of security to have payments into and out of a nominated account only.

Comment

It's just happened to me

This appears to be happening more now.

Last year I sent a few cheques to the Inland Revenue and I had a call from Cater Allen as one cheque had been deposited into an Indian woman's account - despite clearly being written out to the Inland Revenue and my PAYE details.

Anyway, they cancelled the cheque and opened a second account. I was told this would take a few weeks. A few weeks passed and nothing happened. I phined them and that triggered the process to actually do something.

My statement at the end of January indicates that the balance from the old accont has been moved ot the new account on the 14th Janaury 2014.

Today I received a letter dated the 5th March 2014 indicating that the new account would be closed in 60 days. Thinking that they had made a mess with the account numbers I phoned. They confirmed that the new account will indeed be close din 60 days time and asper the T&Cs they don't have to give a reason.

So, I guess I'm in the same position and may have to check out Aldermore.

My orginal account was with Flemings and it was opened in early 1993. Over the years I've recommened the bank to a number of contractors. I won't be doing that from now on.

Does writing to Cater Allen get any better response?

Comment

Write a letter giving it the title "Formal Complaint" keep a copy and send it by signed-for delivery. Then if CA can't be bothered to give you a proper reply in 8 weeks you can refer them to the financial ombudsmen service.

It's easy for you to do as you can complain to the FOS online, and it will cause someone in CA some hassle.

In you case I suspect they think you are involved in the fraud so getting rid of you under some made up pretext is easy to do.

If more people who were forced to close their accounts complained to the FOS they would be more careful about their "commercial" decisions.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonKevNorris View Post
                      may have to check out Aldermore
                      I think they only do savings accounts, but you may want to check out HSBC, as they have a pretty solid reputation for business banking (for a very small monthly fee).

Comment

Working...
                      X