• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family illness etc - chances might have to can gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family illness etc - chances might have to can gig

Must admit this gig is turning into an issue at the moment. Wife at home at the moment with 7 week old baby and is ill at the moment (she was very ill during pregnancy and still having problems unfortunately). Being an hour plus drive away, working 12 hour shifts is already difficult enough.

As per other thread, client aint the most flexible and is causing hassle. This sort of thing might make it impossible.

Oh well, I know its a lot of money but got to put family first. Got a feeling this might not work out.

One of the joys of being a contractor I guess. If I was permie, I could moan to manager/HR and get some free time off LOL.

Anyone else had this?

I remember years ago, I was working away. Wife's Dad was ill (he passed away not long after). Spoke to client at the time and tried to explain but they didn't care. In the end, I told agency (who were ok about it to be fair) and canned the gig.

Glad I did to be fair to be with the Mrs at the time - more important things than work....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

sorry to hear your wife is ill. Is there any immediate family you can call upon to help? or get a hired home help.

I know family comes first but someone still has to bring home the dosh.

But I sort of know where you're coming from, my son's first winter in nursery every 2 weeks he was ill and I had to take quite a few days off to look after him.

Luckily my client was very understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Must admit this gig is turning into an issue at the moment. Wife at home at the moment with 7 week old baby and is ill at the moment (she was very ill during pregnancy and still having problems unfortunately). Being an hour plus drive away, working 12 hour shifts is already difficult enough.

As per other thread, client aint the most flexible and is causing hassle. This sort of thing might make it impossible.

Oh well, I know its a lot of money but got to put family first. Got a feeling this might not work out.

One of the joys of being a contractor I guess. If I was permie, I could moan to manager/HR and get some free time off LOL.

Anyone else had this?

I remember years ago, I was working away. Wife's Dad was ill (he passed away not long after). Spoke to client at the time and tried to explain but they didn't care. In the end, I told agency (who were ok about it to be fair) and canned the gig.

Glad I did to be fair to be with the Mrs at the time - more important things than work....
      Really, you're posting this in Business/Contracts?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        I assume he's asking what the implications are about quitting a contract

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Come on Pondie - be fair. It is contract affecting after all....

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
            I assume he's asking what the implications are about quitting a contract
            He's not - he uses CUK prof forums as a general blog about his life.

Not to say I'm not sorry about your wife's illness. Hope you get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              Of course, Have you spoken with the client?

If not, I would suggest you arrange a proper meeting with the client, with diaries. Sit down and layout what you need from them. If that's working from home X days a week, full time or just disapearing till its sorted.

You might be surprised how they will try and accomodate you, if its a no go, then at least you tried!
              Thats next step of course....

Will be a pity if it goes belly up cos even though there are issues here, its a nice payer and only for a few more weeks. But got to look after the family.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

This.

Stick it in General where it belongs
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

#ForumPolice

;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Comment

Working...
                    X