• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family illness etc - chances might have to can gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    A different outlet? Hang on - what have we here a forum full of people in similar situations doing similar work who might empathise a little.
    We did to begin with. Now you come out as a sub-suity suity without the funny anecdotes and stories that he provides.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Flippin heck FAQQER bit harsh. In this instance, I am moaning maybe but its about the situation than the contract/client. Hardly their fault is it?

Cant exactly predict the health of family members can I? Or are you saying I should check family members health before taking on any contracts?
      One of the benefits of working for yourself is that you are part of a flexible workforce. You have the flexibility to adjust when you work, and who you work for.

In this situation, you have a choice of either
      • Leave the contract and spend time at home
      • Stay in the contract, man up and stop whining
      • Stay in the contract and keep bleating
      • Stay in the contract, discuss the situation with the client, and arrange cover

The best of these is the last. A number of people have suggested this, and every time has come back with a whinge about how it's not that easy, or money doesn't buy everything...

The next best is to leave the contract, which is what I would have done.

The worst options are to keep moaning that you aren't getting the answer that you want here.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        One of the benefits of working for yourself is that you are part of a flexible workforce. You have the flexibility to adjust when you work, and who you work for.

In this situation, you have a choice of either
        • Leave the contract and spend time at home
        • Stay in the contract, man up and stop whining
        • Stay in the contract and keep bleating
        • Stay in the contract, discuss the situation with the client, and arrange cover

The best of these is the last. A number of people have suggested this, and every time has come back with a whinge about how it's not that easy, or money doesn't buy everything...

The next best is to leave the contract, which is what I would have done.

The worst options are to keep moaning that you aren't getting the answer that you want here.
        The second option doesn't sound realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          We did to begin with. Now you come out as a sub-suity suity without the funny anecdotes and stories that he provides.
          + 1. Suity is like a well-loved doubly incontinent family pet. Lose the well-loved and it's not so good.

Comment

Working...
          X