• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family illness etc - chances might have to can gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business / Contracts
    For IT contractor companies to discuss business and contract opportunities.

Just saying.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
      You are a business, after all, right?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Hang on now. You lot are having a go at me?

I aint the one who gets kicks out of having a dig at strangers on an internet forum......
        It is tough when you have personal issues that interfere with your contract. Sometimes people do post for advice about how to best handle the client/agent, usually after they've tried speaking to them and explaining the situation. Is that what you were doing? If so, it wasn't very clear from your post what you've tried, what hasn't worked, and what you think your next steps might be - in short, what is the question you want help with?

Or did you just wanted a offload/whinge/some sympathy. Which is fine - just do it in 'general' rather than the prof forums. Follow suity's fine example.

Comment

This makes me glad I'm not on Facebook.

Best of luck though, psycho.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            It is tough when you have personal issues that interfere with your contract. Sometimes people do post for advice about how to best handle the client/agent, usually after they've tried speaking to them and explaining the situation. Is that what you were doing? If so, it wasn't very clear from your post what you've tried, what hasn't worked, and what you think your next steps might be - in short, what is the question you want help with?

Or did you just wanted a offload/whinge/some sympathy. Which is fine - just do it in 'general' rather than the prof forums. Follow suity's fine example.
            OK. I see your point and I have now spoken to client. To be fair, they just said OK let us know. Fair enough - fine by me. If I can fulfill I will, if I can't then I've warned them.

They've got a business to run too...

To be fair though, it was a sort of question. Surely thats what this forum is for? People in a similar situation, some with more experience than others. Some who may have experienced something like this in the past. Surely can't hurt to pose the question or see if anyones got any opinions?

Otherwise, if we're strictly going to stick to factual stuff, this forum is going to become a really unfriendly place. I still don't see people need to be like that?

Buy OK, if general was general forum it would be better in there. Trouble is its not- its used as a 'fun' forum so pretty pointless posting stuff in there thats serious.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Is there an adverse contracting circumstance he has not encountered?

Comment

You deserve it.

If the client isn't kind about yours or family illness/death then you leave. If they are you stay as long as possible without taking the p1ss. It's commonsense.

As I've said before being permie doesn't guarantee good management. I can give you examples of a few organisations who aren't kind about permies having sick families for starters any patient facing position in the NHS.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FFS. Some right cheerful and nice people on here today.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Have you and your wife considered getting some help in from a good agency? Does she need you specifically or would a couple of hours a day from someone who could take on some of the domestic stuff, maybe let her have a kip inthe afternoon help? It would cost but might make the difference and you carry on earning. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      FFS. Some right cheerful and nice people on here today.
                      Your the one who came on here and moaned about an unsympathetic client.

Anyway you said you were doing shift work. Have you tried swapping with people? That's what other shift workers have to do.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X