• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ongoing support contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ongoing support contract?

I'm coming to the end of a two year gig, and my client's extension pot has run out (as has my expenses entitlement!)

However, they don't really have the skills internally to pick up where I leave, and I'm sure that in a month or two they'll be on the phone requesting some ad-hoc consultancy.

Can/should I draft up some sort of an ongoing support agreement whereby I agree to spend a certain amount of time for them within a certain SLA, e.g. an hour at three days' notice, a day at two weeks' notice, a week at two months' notice?

If so, what would the going rate be for this in relation to a usual contractor daily rate? And could a retainer be factored in, whether the agreement is exercised or not, to cover the loss of flexibility incurred by the ongoing agreement?

Just wondering if anyone's been in a similar situation, or has any advice. Thanks!

I'd be inclined just to let them know that you're open to the opportunity for ad-hoc consultancy if they need it in the future.

The ideal is that you manage to sell them a package of n days to be provided before a given date, and hope that they don't want / need them - I doubt that's going to happen though.

Without knowing what your next client is going to be like, it's difficult for a one-person band to do this - if you have to turn round to the new client and tell them you need a day off just after you start, and then a week off in a little while may well put the new client off and you blow your chance of a longer role with them.

Of course, if you have a big enough network, you could always get this client to sign up to a support agreement and then sub the work out as you need to in the future.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd get them to buy a number of support days off you ie 5-10 etc which they can draw down on as and when they require obvious with some sort of reasonable SLA drawn into the agreement on the understanding you may be working on other projects.

Money up front in your(well the businesses) pocket

Comment

Be careful with this one. In my experience, clients don't really want to pay much for this and will expect the world.

I had one who wanted me to provide next day support at same day rate as I was originally on. So basically, even if I was working somewhere else, they wanted me to take a day off from them and go into their office for the same rate.

Ummm, what exactly do I gain from that? Hassle with new client and same rate from you guys.

I told them retainer and they could call me anytime, but would have to be available post-5pm if they wanted me to discuss with them. And, if needed, and if available, I'd go in on the weekend for old day rate and bit extra.

They said no. Fair enough. I really think they expected to be able to call me for free anytime and then I'd drop everything for them.

Then again, I've got another deal with a mate who runs a consultancy company that works a treat. He pays me a decent wad every quarter as a retainer, he waits until the evening if its in depth, and if I have to go on site to his customer we do it at the weekend and he takes me (200 miles away) and pays me VERY well for any work I do. And I know that if he really needed me to go during week (never yet) he wont take the piss and will make sure I'm well compensated.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

That's a good point about the new client, TheFaQQer, it might be tricky to work that flexibility into the next contract.

I like the idea of selling them upfront days, fandango, I hadn't thought of that. Especially if they don't use them! What sort of rate would you go for? A bit more than the daily rate or a lot more?

Psychocandy, fortunately this client does appreciate the way things work and has always been reasonable, so I'm not too concerned about them wanting the moon on a stick.

Thanks all, I'll try to remember to post an update with the outcome!

Comment

Originally posted by magicbuttons View Post
            That's a good point about the new client, TheFaQQer, it might be tricky to work that flexibility into the next contract.

I like the idea of selling them upfront days, fandango, I hadn't thought of that. Especially if they don't use them! What sort of rate would you go for? A bit more than the daily rate or a lot more?

Psychocandy, fortunately this client does appreciate the way things work and has always been reasonable, so I'm not too concerned about them wanting the moon on a stick.

Thanks all, I'll try to remember to post an update with the outcome!
            Setting the rate is going to be the hardest part, even if you get the client on-board. You need to be asking for more that you are on, because otherwise there's no incentive for you to do it. If you price lower than you end up on for your next gig, then if you have to take time from one to do the other, then you're on a loser. If you can get them to pay more than your new rate, then you always have the incentive to work for them (and risk pissing off the new client).

The best part is, of course, if they don't use them After he retired the first time, my dad moved to a consultancy role with another company. He was guaranteed a number of days a month, plus a day rate for anything over that. When he retired the second time, there was a mutual agreement that he needn't work any more. Some months later, when going through the paperwork, he found that no-one had terminated the contract, and they needed to give 28 days notice. Cue invoice for the days not worked, which was paid in full
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Cue invoice for the days not worked, which was paid in full
              Brilliant! I hope to be the victim of a similar error!

Comment

Originally posted by magicbuttons View Post

Good to hear. I find clients who play the game fairly are getting fewer and fewer these days.

Lot of them out there who want it all their own way and/or something for nothing.

I've also found a few clients who seem to think that they have a right to call you back in if they need you and that you refusing to pay ball is unprofessional. Strange attitude.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I was in a similar situation a few years ago.

Client agreed to pay me a minimum of 8 per month at double my usual hourly rate for up to 8 hours support per month. If it looked like I was going to exceed 16 hours in a month I got advanced authorisation from client.

The arrangement worked really well. I just had to answer a few simple emails each week and client felt like they were getting very good value support. This lasted for 3 months on a formal basis, but I continued to stay in touch and answer the odd question after the agreement ended.

Comment

Working...
                  X