• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small Co. CTO vs. Hedge Fund Contract vs. Investment Bank Perm

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see how you will get a useful answer to your 'predicament' on this forum. So much depends on what you enjoy, where you're headed and what your stage of life is.

Comment

Originally posted by fraymond View Post
      I don't see how you will get a useful answer to your 'predicament' on this forum. So much depends on what you enjoy, where you're headed and what your stage of life is.
      Maybe Google has the answer?
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Maybe Smarties have the answer?
        FTFY
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would consider the link between Investment Bank and "permanent" tenuous at best.

I would take the CTO role.

Comment

OK, an update, and thanks for all the replies so far. Although oliverson's post is laden with uninformed presumptions, so ignore on that one.

rambaugh and fraymond - totally agree with you!

Anyway, my predicament has developed somewhat and now I'm left in a new predicament.

So, I ended up going for the small company CTO role, as the hedge fund role turned out to be a no-go and the investment bank role hit political issues at HR (which I won't go into here).

So, I took the CTO role as I felt I had little other option and the market seemed less buoyant than I first thought. The last thing I needed was to end up jobless for Xmas and beyond.

So, I continued other ongoing interview processes even after I started my new role (which was last Monday). I ended up having a final HR interview on Tuesday for a finance consultancy perm role, a first interview on Tuesday for a tier-1 IB contract role which resulted in a final interview on Wednesday. Then, on Thursday a first interview with an investment fund manager which compromised four separate back-to-back half-hour interviews each with a different person, for a contract.

By Friday, all three of these came through as official offers in writing. I've already declined the consultancy as it's a perm salary not much more than the CTO role I've already taken.

The IB has offered a contract rate that is 12% more than my last two contract rates, which I'm over the moon about. And then the fund manager, knowing what the IB had offered, offered me £2 more per day, going over their budget by £60 per day. It's splitting hairs I know, but it's an extra £500 a year

Joking aside, I've now got a big decision to make. If I take the equivalent salary of the IB contracting rate, it's more than the CTO salary by a healthy six figures! It's pretty much a no-brainer to be honest. But now, I have two problems... I need to decide between the IB and the fund manager; and I need to let down the company I've just started working for. And it's hard because I've made a good impact so far and I've been coined as the "key" person in driving the business on the technical side. I guess I just have a heart, otherwise I wouldn't give two sh*ts and just say cya.

No doubt this is going to attract loads of backlash from some of the plumbers on here who comment/troll on Daily Mail articles, but it would also be good if I could get some good constructive replies, too. This is a real situ for me, and I recognise it's a good "problem" to have, etc. but still would like some opinion from the 'crowd'.

Comment

No, this is just your modus operandi of keeping alive long dead threads.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
              X