• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceptable paperwork and impact for those that didn't respond

Ok, so, 8 weeks after submission, I've finally had confirmation that my submitted paperwork (FWIW a QDOS Public Sector review pack) is sufficient and providing my circumstances don't change, it's good for the contract term. Shame that it's taken them so long to review though as in the meantime, with the end of my contract looming, I've found a job back in the private sector on more £s.

I've also heard that there were a few that ignored the request and the dictat from Cab Office was to terminate their contracts. Of course, the contractors are doing crucial roles so the dept won't terminate them...interesting to see how that one develops as for the bit of govt I'm in, the contracts are held by Cab Office anyway so they could presumably just go ahead and cancel them anyway....

B

Comment

I only contract in the private sector for now but this has been very informative on the public sector - thanks guys.

Comment

public sector contracting and providing details of your company accountant

Here is another one to watch out for. People who are potentially going to go on board a public sector contract (let's just say in one of the big government departments outside of London) are being asked by consultancies that the government client requires not only security checks (so usual details like passport, proof of address), but the details of your company accountant. The PCG warns the only body entitled to ask for the name of your accountant is HMRC and only then if they are looking at an IR35 investigation.

Comment

what's the crack these days?

Been approached about contract with NHS; rate seems good tbh, but wondering if any of these 'issues' have gone away? I'm suspecting not, but thought I'd ask...
          Looking to have a break from current client (pub sec) and do something else, - been here almost 2 yrs & getting itchy feet/bored - so is it safe to look/consider pub sec again yet?
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            Been approached about contract with NHS; rate seems good tbh, but wondering if any of these 'issues' have gone away? I'm suspecting not, but thought I'd ask...
            Looking to have a break from current client (pub sec) and do something else, - been here almost 2 yrs & getting itchy feet/bored - so is it safe to look/consider pub sec again yet?
            Not heard anything from the Central Govt side for a while now. Evidence was submitted and accepted and that seems to have been it. Contracts all now have a standard clause in them regarding provision of evidence if your rate is over £200/day for more than 6 months so I'd ask the pimp about it and see what they say.

If you get to interview you can always raise it there and if you aren't happy with the answer turn down the gig there and then and make it clear thats why.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Not heard anything from the Central Govt side for a while now. Evidence was submitted and accepted and that seems to have been it. Contracts all now have a standard clause in them regarding provision of evidence if your rate is over £200/day for more than 6 months so I'd ask the pimp about it and see what they say.

If you get to interview you can always raise it there and if you aren't happy with the answer turn down the gig there and then and make it clear thats why.
              Cheers DaveB, good update. Yes, the rate is in excess of £200, so could be about to expose myself to a minefield....hmmmm might need a re-think on this one.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Cheers DaveB, good update. Yes, the rate is in excess of £200, so could be about to expose myself to a minefield....hmmmm might need a re-think on this one.
                Have a read of this...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I operate entirely in the NHS and nobody I know has ever heard of this at any NHS client, with the exception that 1 year ago I got 'the email' at an NHS branded client who was actually an arms length body of the DH and therefore central government. The email was revoked the next day as 'an error'.

If you are looking at an NHS Trust and especially an NHS Foundation Trust, my advice would be not to worry overly much. If you are looking at a body like HSCIC, then do your own research.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I operate entirely in the NHS and nobody I know has ever heard of this at any NHS client, with the exception that 1 year ago I got 'the email' at an NHS branded client who was actually an arms length body of the DH and therefore central government. The email was revoked the next day as 'an error'.

If you are looking at an NHS Trust and especially an NHS Foundation Trust, my advice would be not to worry overly much. If you are looking at a body like HSCIC, then do your own research.
                    Thanks OG; v helpful, although I think the moment has now passed. Useful for others however who might be pondering.
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

Move to Contingent Labour One

So Govt, is moving to a new framework for hiring contractors called Contingent Labour One (CL1).

Everyone on the old Capita systems should be getting an email if they haven't already with the new contract. It looks horrible and makes repeated references to "The Temporary Worker".

Anyone else received it yet?
                      Last edited by DaveB; 17 March 2014, 21:55. Reason: Edited to correct framework name.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X