• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I see two or three situations unfolding next week.

1) They will back down and agree that my contract and position is indeed outside IR35 along with several other guys but not the whole site. (sorry if you happen to be in a first / second line support role)
    2) They will play safe and tell us all that we will be considered as caught regardless of the facts
    3) They will do 2 with the added position of increasing my day rate to compensate for the additional taxation

Only option one will work for me. My guess is that I will be taking a new job for 3 or 4 months until they have worked the issues out for themselves.
    What's wrong with 3) - if you get the take-home you want, why care?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Agreed. If someone is prepared to increase my rate for a 3 month extension to compensate, I'll take it and stick it in a pension.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

WHS

I suspect it's more down to the psychological aspect of having to pay so much in tax and NI - and the fact that ClientCo were prepared to pay such an increased rate to begin with - which indicates a lost rate increase opportunity.

However, it's bottom line that counts. Put sentiment out of it - see it as a victory.

Comment

Making one-man PSCs pay PAYE and employee NI would be just fine really. I mean I prefer to pay less but I can't really find a good reason that I should pay a smaller proportion of my income than a permie.
          Whilst not having any of the rights or benefits of a permie, remember you're only a deemed permie for tax purposes you're not a legitimate employee. It's aggressive workers rights avoidance implemented by HMRC
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            WHS

I suspect it's more down to the psychological aspect of having to pay so much in tax and NI - and the fact that ClientCo were prepared to pay such an increased rate to begin with - which indicates a lost rate increase opportunity.

However, it's bottom line that counts. Put sentiment out of it - see it as a victory.
            No a victory is booking tomorrow off and going to London for two interviews for roles paying more than I am on now. One of which has a potential for a longer term offer of a senior role paying proper permanent wages. (135k + car, health and 25% bonus) So if I am going to pay tax like a bitch I will be one and take the holidays and sick leave open to them...

I don't see that caving in to pay tax you are not due while having no employment rights is acceptable, it is certainly not a victory. Especially when it is just to appease a dumb procurement monkey that does not have the knowledge to understand or underwrite the contract that they signed in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              Whilst not having any of the rights or benefits of a permie, remember you're only a deemed permie for tax purposes you're not a legitimate employee. It's aggressive workers rights avoidance implemented by HMRC
              Sorry but "not having the same rights as an employee" has nothing to do with paying the same amount of tax on your income, and everything to do with getting paid more than them

Comment

Three reasons, 1, you've now accepted HMRC's premise of being IR35 caught, 2, your next client probably wont pay as much since they arent public sector, 3, HMRC could potentially look into anyone who worked \ accepted IR35 principles in the public sector and is now contracting in the public sector.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If your next contract isn't PS then you won't be IR35-caught then so rate is less important. Since you're talking about leaving PS now anyway you're just postponing the same choice.

Comment

No a victory is booking tomorrow off and going to London for two interviews for roles paying more than I am on now. One of which has a potential for a longer term offer of a senior role paying proper permanent wages. (135k + car, health and 25% bonus) So if I am going to pay tax like a bitch I will be one and take the holidays and sick leave open to them...
                    Well it's only a victory if you land the role, otherwise it's a lost days invoicing. But genuinely best of luck on those roles anyway.

I don't see that caving in to pay tax you are not due while having no employment rights is acceptable, it is certainly not a victory. Especially when it is just to appease a dumb procurement monkey that does not have the knowledge to understand or underwrite the contract that they signed in the first place.
                    You're letting sentiment get in the way of sound business decisions. I only care about the bottom line. If a public sector outfit offered me a role paying an extra 50%+ on my current day rate, but was inside IR35, I would still take it. I only focus on the net value. The extra tax is just an additional expense of the contract, like travelling costs.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                      Well it's only a victory if you land the role, otherwise it's a lost days invoicing. But genuinely best of luck on those roles anyway.

You're letting sentiment get in the way of sound business decisions. I only care about the bottom line. If a public sector outfit offered me a role paying an extra 50%+ on my current day rate, but was inside IR35, I would still take it. I only focus on the net value. The extra tax is just an additional expense of the contract, like travelling costs.
                      The difference being that IR35 prevents you storing money in the war chest for future bench time, sales effort, business development and training. That's the real problem with IR35, not the tax paid; it prevents you from fulfilling your duty as a director to operate the company efficiently and economically.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X