• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent needing to see passport when they have already seen scans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    My other point is that it is fundamentally bad business to risk losing a £30k contract for the sake of something trivial, especially when it's only because you can't see the point. The OP is not a contractor yet and is not really in the strongest position to play hardball. All I'm doing is advising a degree of caution: you bcan be a hero when you've got some history.
    Excellent advice, I've been rushed into going over to agency locations in the past but that is so they can get me on site quicker (financial gigs can be a ballache with security, etc) and only one tried to pressure me into signing a form but I just flatly refused. I'd say sometimes some of the better pimps just want your passport just to see that your who you say you are.

I was rushed into current gig but that was because the guy I was replacing was leaving and I only had one day hand over. It's fine to play hard ball, but another thing when you've been on the bench for a few months (or starting first gig) and don't want to start dipping into the warchest. You can always play hard ball when client wants you to stay so start negotiating at renewal time. And you've been invoicing regularly.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      My other point is that it is fundamentally bad business to risk losing a £30k contract for the sake of something trivial, especially when it's only because you can't see the point. The OP is not a contractor yet and is not really in the strongest position to play hardball. All I'm doing is advising a degree of caution: you bcan be a hero when you've got some history.
      Of course it is. That's precisely why it would be foolish for any agent to quibble over whether you make a trip in person to show them the document they've asked to see before or after you've agreed contractual terms. If their aim really is to confirm your identity, what should it matter if that happens before or after you've agreed terms? Any agent that would walk away from negotiating a contract just because you wanted to wait until you've agreed terms before spending time travelling to see them to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's would be a fool. Or a chancer. Or both.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with sending all signed documentation (barring the contract) via email in light of producing my passport at a later date.

I would be interested to see if they try to 'bait and switch' the contract when they realise that I have decided to opt in against their advice.

Agreed I am not in a position to play hard ball but I am no junior either.

Will see how it plays out on Monday and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Should of told them you dont have a passport as you have no need. As an alternative you can present your photo id drivers licence to their representative who can visit you at your registered office address or client site etc, etc.
          Not so, I offered both my Photo ID Driving License and Passport (which had expired over 2 years) but these were rejected by SecurityWatchDog and will not accept anything else so I had to get myself a new passport just to prove I haven't had an ugly facelift, suddenly became ginger, changed sex or became a Vampire. It happens!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Payso View Post
            I see nothing wrong with sending all signed documentation (barring the contract) via email in light of producing my passport at a later date.

I would be interested to see if they try to 'bait and switch' the contract when they realise that I have decided to opt in against their advice.
            They don't tend to once the contract is under review.

The less scrupulous ones try and make you sign additional terms, which you simply refuse to do.

Particularly as they haven't presented these terms to you at the time you got the other contract so you have no chance to get them reviewed.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I sometimes thing people make things up here to prove their point, or attempt to.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I sometimes thing people make things up here to prove their point, or attempt to.
                For example?

Comment

Originally posted by Payso View Post
                  For example?
                  He just made that up.

Comment

Bit late to this thread but hope this helps. We had a long thread about showing passports not so long ago and I posted some links about what is required. Companies do have to by law make sure that any one working for them, in a service capacity as well, are eligible to work in the UK and at ten grand a head fine you cannot blame agents going over the top on this one. They are responsible for getting edible people in to their clients, skill wise as well as eligible to work in UK. It would be negligent of them not to do this check. The fact some don't do it properly or other over do it is irrelevant. Link is below

forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/80318-passport-id-3.html#post1576170

IMO it is a minor inconvenience and budgeting them about just to make a point is stupid. If it jeopardized my chances of getting a contract not having a passport I would bloody get one. There are much more important things to worry about.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 August 2012, 20:21.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Bit late to this thread but hope this helps. We had a long thread about showing passports not so long ago and I posted some links about what is required. Companies do have to by law make sure that any one working for them, in a service capacity as well, are eligible to work in the UK and at ten grand a head fine you cannot blame agents going over the top on this one. They are responsible for getting edible people in to their clients, skill wise as well as eligible to work in UK. It would be negligent of them not to do this check. The fact some don't do it properly or other over do it is irrelevant. Link is below

forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/80318-passport-id-3.html#post1576170

IMO it is a minor inconvenience and budgeting them about just to make a point is stupid. If it jeopardized my chances of getting a contract not having a passport I would bloody get one. There are much more important things to worry about.
                      Gingerbread men?

Comment

Working...
                      X