• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reject role due to ClientCo's unethical products

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

according to this website it is 1200%

Loan repayments calculator | This is Money

Originally posted by blacjac View Post

Borrowing £1 for 1 month, paying back £2 is an APR of 409500%

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I turned down work with a tobacco manufacturer. But was quite happy to work for a manufacturer of attack helicopters. Mainly because my family would disown me for the former, but not the latter. But generally, I'll take anyone's money. If they're ethically dodgy, then the more money I take off them, the better, surely?
      I took a role with a similar company. I didnt see the impact or products, so didnt care. Although it was very strange seeing outright adverts for the brand in the offices. Malaysia was weird, as they have smoking rooms and such to, Germany smoke in the offices.

I like the money, so took the role.
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by contractoralan View Post
        according to this website it is 1200%

Loan repayments calculator | This is Money

That website requires you to enter a loan amount and an APR, then tells you how much your payments will be.
        The one I linked to requires you to enter how much you borrow, how much you pay back and over what term, then tells you the APR.

So why are you comparing the 2?
        Still Invoicing

Comment

For most contractors ethics is somewhere to the south of thuthex.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
            My current clientco is a city IB and I've worked for an online betting exchange in the past as well but IMO I don't think gambling is unethical and I don't have problems working for such clients.

However lending money at outragous APR %s for short periods and whos business model relies on around 40% of its customers not paying ontime is just plain wrong. When you're gambling you can loose your stake and that's it, however with their huge APRs they charge the debtor can end up paying back huge sums of money far in excess of their orginal loan value in a short space of time. It's not just gambling it's reckless lending that is by in large unregulated.
            I fail to see much difference, other than the customer lends the IB via the High Street Bank to potentially lose your money and investor's money leaving the customer and investor potentially having to sell their house, posessions, etc. in order to make ends meet. The other difference is that the punter enters into a wreckless agreement with a loan shark, but with an IB, they don't have much choice.

I won't have a problem working with either, as long as the rate was decent.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              For most contractors ethics is somewhere to the south of thuthex.
              South of Thuffok surely...

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                I fail to see much difference, other than the customer lends the IB via the High Street Bank to potentially lose your money and investor's money leaving the customer and investor potentially having to sell their house, posessions, etc. in order to make ends meet. The other difference is that the punter enters into a wreckless agreement with a loan shark, but with an IB, they don't have much choice.

I won't have a problem working with either, as long as the rate was decent.
                I don't see the issue either.

Banks are not more ethical than Payday lenders they just have more regulation.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I don't see the issue either.

Banks are not more ethical than Payday lenders they just have more regulation.
                  I just don't find the product ethical and there is much less regulation in comparison to your typical high street loan. In Australia for example these types of loans have a maximum of 48% APR and in Canada if the interest rate is above 60% per annum it is concidered a criminal act.

Anyway if there was more visible advice out there such products wouldn't exist as there are far better ways to get money. If you're in this situation you're probably in a vulnerable state financially and need more than just money to set you right.

Comment

Working...
                  X