• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays knutsford

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays knutsford

Friends
    I have an interview with Barclays at Radbroke Hall,knutsford this week. I have the following queries if anyone who worked there before can help me please?

1.I'm from London so have to stay over there rather than commute.Can anyone suggest some places to live not too expensive though
    2. Working hours - If offered I will join their IT team.Would they allow working from home at all so I can cut down some cost or would they be flexible to allow you to go early on Friday if you start early or things like that?
    3. Any other info that might be useful in relation to work culture , things to be aware of etc?

Many thanks

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
    Friends
    I have an interview with Barclays at Radbroke Hall,knutsford this week. I have the following queries if anyone who worked there before can help me please?

1.I'm from London so have to stay over there rather than commute.Can anyone suggest some places to live not too expensive though
    2. Working hours - If offered I will join their IT team.Would they allow working from home at all so I can cut down some cost or would they be flexible to allow you to go early on Friday if you start early or things like that?
    3. Any other info that might be useful in relation to work culture , things to be aware of etc?

Many thanks
    1. It's a very expensive part of the North, although someone here knows someone with a reasonable B&B, search the site.

2. AFAIK no to WHF, not many banks do. Not sure on hours others will input, don't fancy the Fri Evening drive tho - will be murder on the M6, take the Toll then the M40. If I were you I've come up Sun evening too, You'll never make it on Mon Morn....

3. Shagging on the tennis courts is optional, it's largely in the middle of nowhere (Little Peover - pron. Peever)

Comment

Not sure about barcrap but barcrapcard in northampton allow some people to WFH. been a while since I worked there, Radbroke isnt bad if you are in babbage. Some of the other buildings are crap.

As has already been said, B&B likely to be fairly expensive. Its miles from anywhere so you'd likely need own transport from B&B to RBH.

Myself, I'd swerve it and look for something else as its not the easiest place to get to (always accidents between J18 & 19 on the M6, getting through Knutsford at normal office times is a ballache too, railway station is miles from RBH etc, etc).
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I am currently there and work from home quite often though it does depend on your team.

As for b&b, pm me if you drive- I know a place in handforth, 20 mins away which will do you a deal for 4 nights at about £25/night.

Comment

Always found it odd that they call it Barclays, Knutsford when it's 2.5 miles away (Toft).

I remember being at traffic lights in Knutsford once when some guy knocked on the window and asked for a lift to Radbroke (he saw my pass). WTF! Told him to do one.

I hid my pass when driving for the rest of the gig.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Quite simply the best place I ever worked. I was there around the time of the Barclays Bonk scandal though, and the place didn't disappoint

Can't remember much about the work, but the social side was excellent ...

Comment

I did a bit of work there at the back end of 2010... Wouldn't mind getting back in but I'm not sure which agencies they use now.

Any ideas?

Comment

I am currently working here,

1. I am staying in a place found through SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent that is 15-20 minutes away towards the airport where I am currently paying £105pw. I have also heard that Radbroke Barn is quite good but not stayed there myself.
                2. Working from home seems to vary from team to team, I have occasional days at home, but generally find that I need to be on site anyway.
                3. Most people are a pleasure to deal with, but the red tape and getting things done can be frustrating to say the least. I normally work extended hours Monday - Thursday and get away slightly earlier on a Friday.

Comment

GB2408,

I know "Gibbs S3" and HCL are on the Preffered Supplier List, I don't know about others.

Comment

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
                    Friends

Many thanks
                    I can only echo what has already been said. If you don't own a car - forget it (IMHO.)

Local hotels are very expensive, so look further out. You've had some good replies already (sorry, can't help more here as I stay at my folks place when I'm working at Radders, as they are only 30 minutes away.)

Car park gets very full, so plan on getting there well before 9:00 a.m.

Working hours? Depends on what you do. I was in Development, so they should have been flexible. But unfortunately my manager reported to a total tw*t who was from Accenture, and he hated contractors with a vengeance (the reason why most of us left - and a few permies to.) Fortunately he's gone now, along with Accenture. All-in-all, it simply depends on the manager you get; I found all the regualar Barclays managers to be pretty good and flexible.

As regards "culture", well, it's very quiet around there. Be prepared to travel a few miles to get some better places to go in the evening. I suggest Hale or head into Central Manchester. Hence why it's best to have a car and actually live a few miles from Radbroke (heading Northwards, back towards Manchester.)

Cheers,

Nomadd
                    Last edited by nomadd; 21 February 2012, 09:15.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X