• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want gig in the South West - how to go about finding it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Time was, you wanted work in Bristol you'd talk to Sandersons. these days they've been taken over tby the bean coutners, all the good guys have scattered and the ones that are left fulfil your every expectation of agent's abilities to know their market and their contractors. So Jobserve is your friend.

I've lived in Bristol for all the 16 years I've been freelance. I've had two gigs here, and one of those was in Bath. However, the catchment area for clients is as big as Greater London but with much better motorways, it depends how far you want to drive each day.
    Same here. And the one I had in Bristol was just a 6 week number.

Have had plenty of others in the region all within a reasonable commute - Swindon, Taunton, Wells, Salisbury Gloucester, Cheltenham , Ciren.

But the biggest source of work in the whole region, not a dickie bird apart from that one.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Swindon? The South West? How dare you!
      Well it ain't the SE or the South, and it's in Wiltshire which is in the SW of England...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Holy bumping old thread, Batman!
        According to some, Hungerford is in the South East.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Well it ain't the SE or the South, and it's in Wiltshire which is in the SW of England...
          Swindon's a county in its own right.

I'd say it's pretty much clinging on to the edge of the WC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            Swindon's a county in its own right.

I'd say it's pretty much clinging on to the edge of the WC.
            That is actually Swindon's motto.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ky6hK4kb3c

Comment

Nothing sustainable past Bristol from what I've seen. Some PS sector sites (Cornwall council are skint at the moment though) but you may be better basing yourself near a town with an airport with regular flights to London and Manchester for commutes, e.g. Exeter and Newquay.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Nothing sustainable past Bristol from what I've seen. Some PS sector sites (Cornwall council are skint at the moment though) but you may be better basing yourself near a town with an airport with regular flights to London and Manchester for commutes, e.g. Exeter and Newquay.
                  Didn't know you could do Exeter - London. Shame they closed Plymouth, there was a small regional airline that operated out of there that served all the UK regions. That was going back a bit though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Didn't know you could do Exeter - London. Shame they closed Plymouth, there was a small regional airline that operated out of there that served all the UK regions. That was going back a bit though.
                    Flybe to London City - I wish they'd do Manchester to LCY - would save me a lot of time.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Flybe to London City - I wish they'd do Manchester to LCY - would save me a lot of time.
                      Hmmm... interesting.

I shall take that into account when I'm considering where to buy next.

Comment

Working...
                      X