• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies to avoid....

I am sure I am not alone in getting previous contracts via agencies that I would rather not work with again. Generally I've been ok but had a recent bad experience with Lorien / VerticalIT:

- lengthly payment terms; 30 working days from last friday of month ie. this is a min term of 6 weeks from end of month even if you invoice weekly and you could be waiting over 10 weeks if you finish a contract at the start of a new month.

- Even when they agreed to reduce their term they conveniently forgot and needed chasing every month.

- the contract specifically stated that I could not 'resign' so I should insist on a rolling 1 month contract in future.

- Would not allow their contract to be signed without signing the 'optional' Suppliers EAA Regs Opt Out.

IT would be useful to get others views on agencies so that we know to scrutinise their contracts just a little more carefully.

I'm not keen on one of Procura's T&C's: We keep 20% (I think it was that much) of your income until contract is fulfilled. If you leave early then we get to keep it

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
      I'm not keen on one of Procura's T&C's: We keep 20% (I think it was that much) of your income until contract is fulfilled. If you leave early then we get to keep it
      If you didn't like it, why did you sign it?

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
        - Would not allow their contract to be signed without signing the 'optional' Suppliers EAA Regs Opt Out.
        That's illegal, and they now owe HMG £5000. Report them to the BIS AR Compliance unit.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I am sure I am not alone in getting previous contracts via agencies that I would rather not work with again. Generally I've been ok but had a recent bad experience with Lorien / VerticalIT:

- lengthly payment terms; 30 working days from last friday of month ie. this is a min term of 6 weeks from end of month even if you invoice weekly and you could be waiting over 10 weeks if you finish a contract at the start of a new month.

- Even when they agreed to reduce their term they conveniently forgot and needed chasing every month.

- the contract specifically stated that I could not 'resign' so I should insist on a rolling 1 month contract in future.

IT would be useful to get others views on agencies so that we know to scrutinise their contracts just a little more carefully.
          Agree with you regarding Vertical IT. I did a 3 monther with them which finished early last year. Although Agent was ok they treat contractors like tulipe, their payment terms are awful and they are very dishonest. Definitely one I will try to avoid in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            That's illegal, and they now owe HMG £5000. Report them to the BIS AR Compliance unit.
            This, +1 (provided you have it in writing)

Comment

Got my first contract over 14 years ago via Lorien. I had no issues with them except them didnt seem arsed about finding me a new contract despite staying with the original client for 2 years.

Still times have moved on and people change.

Unfortunately, one of my repeat clients has adecco as sole supplier. They are tulipe for a number of reasons but the worst being they think they are god.

Deffo wouldnt recommend them to anyone.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If you didn't like it, why did you sign it?

I didn't say that I did <mod snip: that smiley is for General>

Just giving another view on an agency - which is what OP was asking for

Comment

I dont know, may be I am a one off case, but my experience with Lorien has been quite good. The payment terms are not really friendly, but I opted for weekly schedule, so you get paid 12 days after you submit the invoice. So in all, I was paid after 3 weeks, which is acceptable for me.
                  I had to accept the opt out in order to submit the timesheet and invoice. The agent as usual said it was to put me off IR35 which is completely tulip, but there is nothing to stop you withdrawing the opt out at a late stage. So I just sent an email to the agent informing that I am withdrawing the opt out with immediate effect. I believe it depends completely upto how hard you can negotiate, and how well you can play the rules.
                  I would never discount any agency in my search criteria for a new role, as that is essentially narrowing down my opportunities, which I cannot afford at the moment.
                  BTW, I dont work for Lorien.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
                    I dont know, may be I am a one off case, but my experience with Lorien has been quite good. <stuff>
                    I have to say I did a stint with Lorein and also found them to be fine. Carbon copy timesheets a bit odd but no other problems. The recruiters I dealt with were young (compared to me) lads n lasses so didn't get the impression they were professional enough to think about using me again or getting me more gigs. More like cold callers on commission. They did what was needed and no more. Can't really complain about that though.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X