• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't help thinking that the poster moaning about Venn may have found himself on the list of contractors to avoid.

Take some responsibility and don't expect to be spoon fed. Oh, and get a car and learn to drive otherwise your client audience will be limited.

My agent rings me every few weeks checking all is well and I'm scratching my head to wonder out why. If it wasn't I'd be telling them.

<Mod snip>

Comment

Originally posted by nosolog View Post
      It didn't cost that much! 1 day cost the same amount I'd earn in half a day but if you factor in tax and the fact you have to pay 7 days for a hotel it was actually costing the same of more than I'd earn in a week with the hotel rates doubling in August.
      So, it did cost more than you'd earn in a week.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by nosolog View Post
        In conclusion, I would recommend other people do not take jobs bsed far away where no accommodation is provided unless you don't mind taking risks with your income.
        The alternative is that people take roles that they have properly costed before accepting them. You know, kind of how a business operates?

I've only ever had one client provide accommodation in the UK before - contract ended so I moved out of my rented place, client then asked me back for two weeks and I told them that I'd love to but they needed to find a hotel so I wasn't out of pocket. After a week or so of them saying "no chance, but we really need you back", they booked me into a nice hotel in London and I billed them the hotel and food bill
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Many of us had this tail of woe when we worked away for the 1st time. I know I did.
          tale
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            The alternative is that people take roles that they have properly costed before accepting them. You know, kind of how a business operates?

I've only ever had one client provide accommodation in the UK before - contract ended so I moved out of my rented place, client then asked me back for two weeks and I told them that I'd love to but they needed to find a hotel so I wasn't out of pocket. After a week or so of them saying "no chance, but we really need you back", they booked me into a nice hotel in London and I billed them the hotel and food bill
            +1. Equally my last 2 contracts have been work from home with all expenses paid - hardly unexpected given that's how their other consultants work..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Resource Solutions

Anyone used Resource Solutions?

Finding they run a screening process that takes hours to fill in and asks for everything except for a sample of your DNA.
              SimplyBlue

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post

Finding they run a screening process that takes hours to fill in and asks for everything except for a sample of your DNA.
                Settle in for the long run. Spend your time imagining all the inventive ways they could cock things up...then have a drink for each time they cock it up.

By the time your hangover wears off, they might've completed your screening.

Comment

I am new to contracting and to the forums, but wanted to add Allen Lane to the list of agencies to avoid. Lots of reviews on Google about them and especially that they run a scheme where they charge you £700 a month once they find you work!

I asked for advice from this forum and thanks to regular posters here found that this was against the law, fortunately before I signed up with them. Now secured a contract through a decent agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos View Post

Unfortunately.....it takes anywhere between 2-7 weeks and yeah they want everything expect to have to prove every single CV gap with evidence. Bank, mortgage, credit card statements and so on. Also they used to have in the small print if you fail the vetting process you pay £500 for the background checks you failed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed
                      1 week delay, eh can happen. If it happened regularly...

Company info for you.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09525179
                      Umm, I'm no expert at this but doesn't that balance sheet effectively mean they're insolvent?

Comment

Working...
                      X