• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Oh yes they do get it, Agencies know exactly what the opt out means. Otherwise why would the be so hell bent on bullying you into signing it? They are just playing dumb to try and bulltulip you into signing your rights away.
    Myself and BolshieBastard have had dealings with Lorien as well and I can tell you the person I dealt with didn't know. Tried selling me a load of guff and it wasn't until I proved I knew plenty about it did they start sending me forwarded mails from someone that did. Saying that they still wouldn't budge but the agent I dealt with had obviously been told not to accept opt in without knowing why. Their main line of attack is that the client didn't wanted opt in contractors in case they fell liable for taxes...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I suppose many of the pimp "consultants" get told from upon high from senior/managers 'on no account should you let a contractor start with client until they have signed the opt out'

I can imagine many don't have a clue what it means to them but they've been told. Maybe some are told this but ignore it, they want the money to start rolling in quicker?

Maybe it's like the PPI scam where they "sign" the opt out for us but we don't get to know. Who knows?

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        I suppose many of the pimp "consultants" get told from upon high from senior/managers 'on no account should you let a contractor start with client until they have signed the opt out'
        Yep they are told that.

I have had to deal with directors because I either:
        1. refuse to sign it, or,
        2. point out that the opt-out has to be separate from the contract to be valid.

I can imagine many don't have a clue what it means to them but they've been told. Maybe some are told this but ignore it, they want the money to start rolling in quicker?

Maybe it's like the PPI scam where they "sign" the opt out for us but we don't get to know. Who knows?
        Until a case gets a full court hearing we will never know and no agency is going to let a contractor take them to court over such an issue with the likes of the internet around.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Yep they are told that.

I have had to deal with directors because I either:
          1. refuse to sign it, or,
          2. point out that the opt-out has to be separate from the contract to be valid.

Until a case gets a full court hearing we will never know and no agency is going to let a contractor take them to court over such an issue with the likes of the internet around.
          Yep, I had a director arguing with me because I wouldn't sign the opt out.

This was at my first extension, 12 months after starting with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
            Yep, I had a director arguing with me because I wouldn't sign the opt out.

This was at my first extension, 12 months after starting with the client.
            Says it all. WTF?

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

qh
              This ^^.

During the contract negotiations on my last gig the agent was desperate to have me sign the opt-out. Every mention of IR35 was met by the agent with "you need to sign the opt-out". I made it clear that he was mistaken (but without going into any detail) and he came back to me on a later call admitting it was nothing to do with IR35 and everything to do with the limiting the handcuff clause to 12 weeks. Amazingly, he still wanted the opt-out signed! After I asked "are you making it a condition of the contract?" it was never mentioned again.

Obviously he was under great pressure to get the opt-out signed but not so much as to risk his commission!
              Last edited by Contreras; 12 November 2013, 21:28. Reason: gramar

Comment

ROC Search - One guy has got the same role advertised in almost every city in the UK in his CV trawl. And of course, its the just need two references thing.
                Alexander Mann - Same old same old rudeness. After a fast buck rather than building relationships. Hassle you when they can smell blood, ignore phonecalls when its a no. Won't even give answer after interviews. Rude people.

Good ones

Intapeople in cardiff. Friendly and always phone you back.
                Austin Fraser. Good guy there called sam cameron.
                Larson Group. Pete there is a top man.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

GCS - always have the perfect assignment and often at a previous client site but after wasting your time discussing all the details they then drop you like a hot potato - and everyone there is called Sam

Comment

GCS second that.

Comment

Avoid
                      NP Group
                      Blue Pelican
                      Glotel

Comment

Working...
                      X