• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting newbie - opted in, failed bank security check and terminated

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    In this case it seems the CV does, but I think its more the fact that you lied rather than where you lied.
    Agreed. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      What degree was it you didn't have, and why don't you have it?
      Originally posted by StewieG View Post
      An Admin Degree. Didnt go to Uni, took the experience route instead, but didnt work out as i planned, so I added the most ( what I thought) basic degree. Little did I know that no matter how posh and becks course it sounds, some screeners do check it.
      I don't have a degree (I can show you my CV which proves this ) and it hasn't held me back in permie or contracting jobs.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I don't have a degree (I can show you my CV which proves this ) and it hasn't held me back in permie or contracting jobs.
        SimonMAc

As Im a newbie here some advice if I may,

On my CV i should list clients, but on any screening forms, I should only put my Ltd, and last perm employer on there for previous employment? Is that how you did it? OR did you write Ltd, Date to present and then subsequent clients underneath on your CV?

Comment

I have never came across a screening form so I can't advise you directly, my only advice would be make sure every thing is consistent, that goes for CV, Interviews and any other checks.

My CV shows a list of clients to be honest as if I was working for them with relativity short dates I was there so they can work out it was contracting
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've done screening checks and first of all I'm surprised they bothered to check at all, unless it was a bank or SC role but even then. It took me 2 weeks to get my uni to validate my degree, after persistent calling.

I think its tempting to lie when you are starting out, like I used to do but as you gain my experience its not necessary. We ALL lie and I don't think its such a bad thing as long as you keep it in proportion to what role you are going for and it can help smooth things over.

If you do get asked about your degree after more than a couple yrs experience then yr interview is an assclown and you don't want the job anyways, well thats how I see it.

So to summarize, lying actually isnt usually worth the effort, unless your a naturally good liar and cant help it (I'm cynical).

Comment

So nobody on this thread has ever LIED on their CV or to get a job?

( even white lies are lies )
              No. If any lie is going to bite you on the bum, that one will...

HTH
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

But please remember the rules of the Professional forums.

No flaming apart from telling the OP that it's a stupid thing to do...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by CodeCobbler View Post
                  I've done screening checks and first of all I'm surprised they bothered to check at all, unless it was a bank or SC role but even then. It took me 2 weeks to get my uni to validate my degree, after persistent calling.

I think its tempting to lie when you are starting out, like I used to do but as you gain my experience its not necessary. We ALL lie and I don't think its such a bad thing as long as you keep it in proportion to what role you are going for and it can help smooth things over.

If you do get asked about your degree after more than a couple yrs experience then yr interview is an assclown and you don't want the job anyways, well thats how I see it.

So to summarize, lying actually isnt usually worth the effort, unless your a naturally good liar and cant help it (I'm cynical).
                  Appreciate the honesty in this post ( no pun intended) and the non flaming.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffreywhereveryoumaybe
                    StewieG comes across liike a policitician who has been caught fiddling his expenses and then tries to squirm out of it.

He lied on his CV (whether he needed to have a degree is irrelevant).

When he gets a security check he naturally supplies the true details as any sensible person would.

But he still lied then and in the past in the belief that a degree would get him a position.

He faked an 'Admin Degree', whatever that is. Some degree subjects are more relevant for some positions but a degree is a degree is a degree and many companies use that qualification as an entry grade for screening candidates.

When I have completed screening forms I supply the assignments I have worked on and the end clients in the same way as I do on my CV.

With a name like StewieG he's probably a scouser so you shouldn't be suprised that lying comes naturally.
                    You are an assuming individual. The fact you read StewieG as StevieG (Liverpool & England Captain) tells me you shouldnt even be posting on this site let along a contractor. I refer you to Family Guy. IF you dont know what that is, google it, I thought my avatar was a dead give away, but clearly I assumed you were brighter then your post lets on.

Fyi- MY location has no bearing to my honesty. Learn something from my schooling of you.

I bid you good day sir.

Comment

You are an assuming individual. The fact you read StewieG as StevieG (Liverpool & England Captain) tells me you shouldnt even be posting on this site let along a contractor. I refer you to Family Guy. IF you dont know what that is, google it, I thought my avatar was a dead give away, but clearly I assumed you were brighter then your post lets on.

Fyi- MY location has no bearing to my honesty. Learn something from my schooling of you.

I bid you good day sir.
                      I thought more yosser hughes to be fair

Comment

Working...
                      X