• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting newbie - opted in, failed bank security check and terminated

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a suspended prison sentence. A false CV as a contractor could well have you paying back everything that you earnt, in addition to other damages, particularly if things went wrong.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
      Unbelievable.
      And yet true.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        Well, your original question was never about "more value". And "more value" isn't a sensible question. And I, for one, never flamed you. So...

Your cv is the only thing that represents you initially - except in this case where the manager already knew you.

The screening form is simply a condensed version of what you have listed on your cv: Where you've worked; Who you've worked for; What qualifications you hold.

Your problem was that the cv didn't match what you put on the screening form.

Note that the only things the muppets at these screening companies have is a copy of your cv and the screening form. So if the two don't match, they feel they've struck gold on behalf of their client. And it's your fault if they don't match. Or theirs, if they are stupid.

For example...

At my last screening, they asked why my previous employers weren't on my screening form under the "prior Employment" section. I explained that what was on my cv were "clients", not employers - and that the only "employer" I'd had in the last 25 years was my own company. Result: No problem.

They then wanted to "talk" to my University about my degree, and could I give a contact; I explained that I left Uni 30 years ago and that my Admissions Tutor was probably dead by now... I said I'd just send a scan of the degree instead, but it would have to wait a few weeks until I went up to my folks place to get it. Result: No problem.

Finally, they wanted to see my passport, and could I present it at the clients site. I explained that I'd just applied for a new one and it would take 2-4 weeks to come back. Result: No problem.

In other words, there are always fiddly issues to sort out with screening processes, but basically, as long as you don't lie, you won't have a problem.
        A good insight Nomadd. Thank you for sharing. The screening checks done called the University I was "at" and the rest is history.

Comment

Google my sig. It says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieG View Post
            I wouldnt, which is why Ive removed the degree from my CV. Anything on my CV now is verifable. I want to put that episode behind me now and move on. I only asked the original question as to were they correct to remove me even though on their screenign form, i was asked to duplicate my cv but ommitted the degree but they removed me based on info from my CV, not their official screenng form.
            So when the next client asks why you left the previous one after a week, what answer are you going to give?

Or are you just excluding that client from your CV?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              Google my sig. It says it all.
              You mean the OP's name was John?

The lying bastard...
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

A good insight Nomadd. Thank you for sharing. The screening checks done called the University I was "at" and the rest is history.
                Even if your academic qualifications particularly a degree is not checked by a company/organisation initially it can be checked later at any stage.

Not having it from a UK institution doesn't stop it being checked as if the institution is in Europe or another place where English is widely spoken, someone eventually will check up on it.

And yes I've overheard people talking about phoning up South Africa as well as contacting a university in Poland to confirm people have the degrees they say they have.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  So when the next client asks why you left the previous one after a week, what answer are you going to give?

Or are you just excluding that client from your CV?
                  Not on my CV. Like the river in Egypt (denial)

Comment

Not on my CV. Like the river in Egypt (denial)
                    So when they ask who your last client it, you're going to lie about it?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What degree was it you didn't have, and why don't you have it?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X