• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting newbie - opted in, failed bank security check and terminated

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    I wonder if you would be happy for your next employer to find out about your lie?
    I wouldnt, which is why Ive removed the degree from my CV. Anything on my CV now is verifable. I want to put that episode behind me now and move on. I only asked the original question as to were they correct to remove me even though on their screenign form, i was asked to duplicate my cv but ommitted the degree but they removed me based on info from my CV, not their official screenng form.
    Last edited by StewieG; 29 May 2012, 14:22.

Comment

Originally posted by StewieG View Post
      ITs not about coming clean here. I told a porkie on my CV but came clean on the screening form. I didnt sign my CV, the screening form was signed, so based on something they checked on my CV, not from the screening form i was terminated.

The detail is I put I had a degree when I dont. Degree was on CV ( now removed) but on signed screening form, I didnt put the degree as I realised after submitting my CV, they would check.
      Oh well, fair enough. At least you had the guts to come back and reply.

Lesson learned. Move on. Don't do anything this silly in the future.

EDIT: Actually, I'm sure it might have been easier just to buy a degree off the Internet!
      Last edited by nomadd; 29 May 2012, 14:37.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I believe to falsely claim you have a degree is potentially a criminal offence.

Shouldn't be done lightly.

If something were to go wrong you'd be in deep trouble.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I was actually thinking the same, surely it is a fradulent msirepresentation.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Very, very unlikely to lead to prosecution. In all the cases I've ever seen, the people have been simply shown the door. Too embarrassing/expensive for all concerned to start chasing these things through the courts. Only in a "security" type role could I ever see this being taken further, at least for I.T. bods.

Obviously for Doctors and such like we have seen people sued for wrongfully claiming certain qualifications.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

I believe nobody has still answered my question. Ive been flamed etc, but nobody has said whether A cv holds more value then an official screening form signed by myself.

Comment

In my view (as someone who sees both on a regular basis) they actually hold pretty similar value.

The CV is the initial marketing material of your business. If you saw an advert for a burger chain who claimed to use 100% prime beef steak in their burgers, and when you arrived and took a bite, the burgers were made of pork, you'd have every right to sue for false representation. This is the magnitude of what you have done - you have falsely advertised your business, and what's worse, is you did it on purpose.

The official form, would never have been a problem, if you'd told the truth in the first place. So whilst there's a glimmer of positive message in the fact that you corrected it, it's possible that you'd never have got the gig if you'd have told the truth first.

The stunning irony, is that you didn't need to do it. With an inside assistant, if you'd just sent a truthful CV, you'd probably have still got the job, and you'd almost certainly still have it.

The overall answer to your question, is that they both have equal value - they're just used in different parts of the process.
                "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by StewieG View Post
                  I believe nobody has still answered my question. Ive been flamed etc, but nobody has said whether A cv holds more value then an official screening form signed by myself.
                  Well, your original question was never about "more value". And "more value" isn't a sensible question. And I, for one, never flamed you. So...

Your cv is the only thing that represents you initially - except in this case where the manager already knew you.

The screening form is simply a condensed version of what you have listed on your cv: Where you've worked; Who you've worked for; What qualifications you hold.

Your problem was that the cv didn't match what you put on the screening form.

Note that the only things the muppets at these screening companies have is a copy of your cv and the screening form. So if the two don't match, they feel they've struck gold on behalf of their client. And it's your fault if they don't match. Or theirs, if they are stupid.

For example...

At my last screening, they asked why my previous employers weren't on my screening form under the "prior Employment" section. I explained that what was on my cv were "clients", not employers - and that the only "employer" I'd had in the last 25 years was my own company. Result: No problem.

They then wanted to "talk" to my University about my degree, and could I give a contact; I explained that I left Uni 30 years ago and that my Admissions Tutor was probably dead by now... I said I'd just send a scan of the degree instead, but it would have to wait a few weeks until I went up to my folks place to get it. Result: No problem.

Finally, they wanted to see my passport, and could I present it at the clients site. I explained that I'd just applied for a new one and it would take 2-4 weeks to come back. Result: No problem.

In other words, there are always fiddly issues to sort out with screening processes, but basically, as long as you don't lie, you won't have a problem.
                  Last edited by nomadd; 29 May 2012, 15:33.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                    I was actually thinking the same, surely it is a fradulent msirepresentation.
                    It is fraud, you can end up in prison for it.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                      X