+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 55
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default State of the current London IT Contract Market?

    Im in a permanent position , considering leaving and going back into contracting.

    How are you finding the state of the current IT contract market especially SQL Server?

    I've been looking at the job boards and it looks quiet.

    Hopefully its the time of year running up to xmas..and theres hope for the New Year?

  2. #2

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    The build up to Christmas is always quiet. However I don't think the contract market is in the best state at the moment, you might want to stay in your permie job for a little while longer.

  3. #3

    I post more often than I breathe


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    74,554
    Thanks (Given)
    1597
    Thanks (Received)
    891
    Likes (Given)
    1597
    Likes (Received)
    1318

    Default

    Banks are cutting rates across the board - not a great sign.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Scrag Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London and Devon
    Posts
    3,856
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Given)
    95
    Likes (Received)
    80

    Default

    Stay permie, I don't need any more competition.

    Very quiet I'm afraid.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Jeebo72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,296
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
    Im in a permanent position , considering leaving and going back into contracting.

    How are you finding the state of the current IT contract market especially SQL Server?

    I've been looking at the job boards and it looks quiet.

    Hopefully its the time of year running up to xmas..and theres hope for the New Year?
    Sure, jump in, fill your boots. Plenty going around for all.

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    19
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    The build up to Christmas is always quiet. However I don't think the contract market is in the best state at the moment, you might want to stay in your permie job for a little while longer.
    Mmm this is what I was suspecting!!

    My perm job could be under threat of redundancy.

    So it might be an idea to get another perm job just for a year or until the contract market really recovers.

  7. #7

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    93
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I have three interviews lined up for next week, two at IBs (neither have announced rate cuts yet as far as I know) and 1 at a gas company all offering £100 more per day and all starting at the beginning of the new year (under contract until 31st Dec).

    As always I think it depends on your skill set.
    Last edited by Mister Clark; 24th November 2011 at 10:27. Reason: I cannot speel

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Bumfluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,246
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Clark View Post
    I have three interviews lined up for next week, two at IBs (neither have announced rate cuts yet as far as I know) and 1 at a gas company all offering £100 more per day and all starting at the beginning of the new year (under contract until 31st Dec).

    As always I think it depends on your skill set.
    What IB's are they ? They might not have annouced it but I would guess they would have factored the current rate reductions at other banks into it.

    Anyway its the worse I've seen it, hope things pick up in Jan with new budgets.
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 24th November 2011 at 10:53.

  9. #9

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    93
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumfluff View Post
    What IB's are they ? They might not have annouced it but I would guess they would have factored the current rate reductions at other banks into it. I know for a fact the agents / clients have a rate card which is the recommended rate for x role across the city.
    DB and BoA.

    Probably a different thread but I'm at a gas/oil company at the mo and I know the project is likely to go until the end of 2012 and that they would require someone to fill my boots if I did leave.

    I would prefer to stay where I am but the extra £100 a day at the banks is temping - however they are both 6 months in duration and of course you have the worry of rate cuts/contract getting cut short.

    Current client will not increase rate but Iím confident I can get another 12 months out of it plus itís a nice place to work.

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Clark View Post
    DB and BoA.

    Probably a different thread but I'm at a gas/oil company at the mo and I know the project is likely to go until the end of 2012 and that they would require someone to fill my boots if I did leave.

    I would prefer to stay where I am but the extra £100 a day at the banks is temping - however they are both 6 months in duration and of course you have the worry of rate cuts/contract getting cut short.

    Current client will not increase rate but Iím confident I can get another 12 months out of it plus itís a nice place to work.
    My agent tells me a BAML cut is happening imminently. It's just heresay of course, but he's been correct on the others. The list as far as I am aware that have cut a min. of 10% so far is BarCap, BNPP, RBS, Nomura, Citi, UBS, LLoyds, CS, JPM, HSBC, Credit Ag. Not heard anything about DB. But as you say, if you join an IB that hasn't cut yet you run the risk of a cut on arrival. It's all very depressing!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.