+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59
Posts 581 to 588 of 588
  1. #581

    Still gathering requirements...

    Freud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    32
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    So you've been introduced already. This thread will explain in detail what your situation is. It's gonna be a slog but a good read will answer your question.

    EDIT : That said Post number 5 from Wanderer gives you everything you need.
    Thanks read that.

    My take is that it is in my interest to Opt In - correct ?

    Irrespective of when and Intro happens etc, unless I sign an Opt Out, I will always be Opted In by default ?

  2. #582

    Still gathering requirements...

    Freud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    32
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post

    My take is that it is in my interest to Opt In - correct ?

    Irrespective of when and Intro happens etc, unless I sign an Opt Out, I will always be Opted In by default ?
    Correct/Incorrect ^^^ ?

  3. #583

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,938
    Thanks (Given)
    127
    Thanks (Received)
    1142
    Likes (Given)
    1583
    Likes (Received)
    5424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Correct/Incorrect ^^^ ?
    Read the thread and google some articles and you'll find your answer.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #584

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,103
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    182
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Correct/Incorrect ^^^ ?
    One of the main talents you need as a contractor is being able to make your own decisions. You've been given all the necessary information on a couple of things now, and still you're seeking confirmation. If contracting were just hard and fast binary options, life would be a lot easier. For all of us.

    The quick answer to this question is yes, probably. Whether or not that's the right answer in your circumstnaces only you can answer.
    Blog? What blog...?

  5. #585

    Still gathering requirements...

    Freud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    32
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Sorry if I am being a bit of a PITA.

    No, I haven't read all 59 pages of this thread but have read a fair few pages of it.

    My situation is slightly different to what appears to be 99% of the posts on this thread.

    That is, I went to the Client direct, negotiated my rate but they are putting the contract through their preferred agency that manages the contractors.

    As such, I was not introduced by an agency, I did not seek a job through the agency but my contract will be with the agency and the agency will pay me.

    This lead me to my questions which I was hoping someone who has a firm grasp of the legislation and maybe has been part of this thread from the beginning, would be able to provide a simple answer or at least their guiding opinion, to save me spending an inordinate amount of time reading and digesting this thread when the majority of Q&A seems about contractors trying to find a job through the agency

  6. #586

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,103
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    182
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Sorry if I am being a bit of a PITA.

    No, I haven't read all 59 pages of this thread but have read a fair few pages of it.

    My situation is slightly different to what appears to be 99% of the posts on this thread.

    That is, I went to the Client direct, negotiated my rate but they are putting the contract through their preferred agency that manages the contractors.

    As such, I was not introduced by an agency, I did not seek a job through the agency but my contract will be with the agency and the agency will pay me.

    This lead me to my questions which I was hoping someone who has a firm grasp of the legislation and maybe has been part of this thread from the beginning, would be able to provide a simple answer or at least their guiding opinion, to save me spending an inordinate amount of time reading and digesting this thread when the majority of Q&A seems about contractors trying to find a job through the agency
    I did provide an answer. I also said it all depends on your particular circumstances. The fact you found the work does not affect things though, since you are still working through an agency at the end of the day.

    Then again, you are bringing the work to them so it's up to you to negotiate the best deal. If that means ignoring the opt out - or getting them to ignore it - then fine. In fact the agency is adding a layer of protection you wouldn't have with a direct contract (I leave you to work out why) and not opting out further strengthens that point.

    And FTAOD I do have a firm grasp of the regulations and the use (and abuse) of the opt out and why it exists in the first place. Also have a hunt through the IPSE website: you will find a detailed explanation of the Agency Regs and how they should be applied.

    HTH. BIDI...
    Blog? What blog...?

  7. #587

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,672
    Thanks (Given)
    332
    Thanks (Received)
    584
    Likes (Given)
    2208
    Likes (Received)
    2625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    I did provide an answer. I also said it all depends on your particular circumstances. The fact you found the work does not affect things though, since you are still working through an agency at the end of the day.

    Then again, you are bringing the work to them so it's up to you to negotiate the best deal. If that means ignoring the opt out - or getting them to ignore it - then fine. In fact the agency is adding a layer of protection you wouldn't have with a direct contract (I leave you to work out why) and not opting out further strengthens that point.

    And FTAOD I do have a firm grasp of the regulations and the use (and abuse) of the opt out and why it exists in the first place. Also have a hunt through the IPSE website: you will find a detailed explanation of the Agency Regs and how they should be applied.

    HTH. BIDI...
    I think the spanner in the works that Freud is alluding to is that the client have introduced him to the agency, rather than the other way round.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #588

    Still gathering requirements...

    Freud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    32
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Thanks.

    I have read a bit more and think I understand the pros and cons.

    BTW, @malvolio I wasn't suggesting you didn't have a good grasp on the legislation so thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.