• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If the CV is different, ask to see it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the CV is different, ask to see it

I did a stupid thing in an interview. When I realised the client was looking at a CV that I had never seen before, I did not handle the situation correctly.

I should have stopped the interview and said "I cannot proceed until I have seen what you have been told" and not budged until they had let me quickly review the CV the agent had sent them. I could then have told them what was not correct.

Instead I said "I have never seen that CV before. Here's my copy, work from that one" and passed them the CV I take with me. I then let the interview carry on but the interviewer carried on referring to the agency-provided one.

I never got to see what the discrepancies between the agency CV and the truth were; the interviewer clearly did not believe me and it was all over very quickly.

So, if you are in the position where the agent has sent a CV that they wrote, you need to see it to continue with the interview in any realistic way.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Thanks for the tip.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Thanks for the tip.
      I believe there are legal implications for "adjusting" someone's CV. Got to be honest, I don't know what they are, but then I've never been in a situation where I felt it was appropriate.
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

That has happened to me, where the Agent embellished the CV, embarassung aint it. I don't think it matters how you do it, it will always be a negative. At the time it didn't seem to be a big problem, as he the interviewer could understand the "mistake". Yes a good idea to ask the agent for a copy beforehand and get him to correct "bloomers".
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Most times in my experience an agency will cut out contact information to stop them going directly to you. Some other times they'll cut, reorganise or reword things to suit their perceived idea of what the client wants to read. It's only happened once that an agent has added completely new things without my permission.

I always start interviews by handing all attendees a copy of my CV and asking them if they'd mind quickly scanning to see if there were any changes. Most clients with experience of agencies will know this happens and won't even raise an eyebrow.

Comment

The Shoe-In - The Daily WTF
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Seems difficult to believe that an agency would change your CV that much. I know the CV that I sent to an agent and review that before I go but to have it changed?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                I did a stupid thing in an interview. When I realised the client was looking at a CV that I had never seen before, I did not handle the situation correctly.

I should have stopped the interview and said "I cannot proceed until I have seen what you have been told" and not budged until they had let me quickly review the CV the agent had sent them. I could then have told them what was not correct.

Instead I said "I have never seen that CV before. Here's my copy, work from that one" and passed them the CV I take with me. I then let the interview carry on but the interviewer carried on referring to the agency-provided one.

I never got to see what the discrepancies between the agency CV and the truth were; the interviewer clearly did not believe me and it was all over very quickly.

So, if you are in the position where the agent has sent a CV that they wrote, you need to see it to continue with the interview in any realistic way.
                Many years ago I was using a 4GL programming tool that had only existed for one year, the agent embellished my CV to show I had ten years experience. The client gave me a copy of the CV - and I gave them an original copy. I was asked to reaply via another agent at a later date and got the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Seems difficult to believe that an agency would change your CV that much. I know the CV that I sent to an agent and review that before I go but to have it changed?
                  It's happened to me.

Luckily for me the words were things I had done as routine and as usual I demanded to see a copy of my CV before I was interviewed.

Unfortunately for the agent, when the client was interviewing more people for different roles and wondering why people's experience didn't match their CVs I told them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's happened to me.

Luckily for me the words were things I had done as routine and as usual I demanded to see a copy of my CV before I was interviewed.

Unfortunately for the agent, when the client was interviewing more people for different roles and wondering why people's experience didn't match their CVs I told them.
                    I have been asked to change my CV to match a job advert, including adding stuff I don't have. I refused, interviewed on it and the client said thanks for being honest, the last person I interviewed didn't have the stuff their CV said.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X