+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Super Tramp

    RichardCranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Up Tulip Creek
    Posts
    12,282
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    118
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    122

    Angry If the CV is different, ask to see it

    I did a stupid thing in an interview. When I realised the client was looking at a CV that I had never seen before, I did not handle the situation correctly.

    I should have stopped the interview and said "I cannot proceed until I have seen what you have been told" and not budged until they had let me quickly review the CV the agent had sent them. I could then have told them what was not correct.

    Instead I said "I have never seen that CV before. Here's my copy, work from that one" and passed them the CV I take with me. I then let the interview carry on but the interviewer carried on referring to the agency-provided one.

    I never got to see what the discrepancies between the agency CV and the truth were; the interviewer clearly did not believe me and it was all over very quickly.

    So, if you are in the position where the agent has sent a CV that they wrote, you need to see it to continue with the interview in any realistic way.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Fred Bloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,623
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    73
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    247

    Default

    Thanks for the tip.

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not coding....
    Posts
    862
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks for the tip.
    I believe there are legal implications for "adjusting" someone's CV. Got to be honest, I don't know what they are, but then I've never been in a situation where I felt it was appropriate.
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

    Can't argue with that

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Trump University
    Posts
    10,875
    Thanks (Given)
    60
    Thanks (Received)
    219
    Likes (Given)
    373
    Likes (Received)
    764

    Default

    That has happened to me, where the Agent embellished the CV, embarassung aint it. I don't think it matters how you do it, it will always be a negative. At the time it didn't seem to be a big problem, as he the interviewer could understand the "mistake". Yes a good idea to ask the agent for a copy beforehand and get him to correct "bloomers".
    Author of the best seller "How to get Poor quickly"

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Most times in my experience an agency will cut out contact information to stop them going directly to you. Some other times they'll cut, reorganise or reword things to suit their perceived idea of what the client wants to read. It's only happened once that an agent has added completely new things without my permission.

    I always start interviews by handing all attendees a copy of my CV and asking them if they'd mind quickly scanning to see if there were any changes. Most clients with experience of agencies will know this happens and won't even raise an eyebrow.

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    31,424
    Thanks (Given)
    103
    Thanks (Received)
    374
    Likes (Given)
    163
    Likes (Received)
    1301
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

  7. #7

    crap ex-mod

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34,859
    Thanks (Given)
    45
    Thanks (Received)
    514
    Likes (Given)
    259
    Likes (Received)
    2135

    Default

    Seems difficult to believe that an agency would change your CV that much. I know the CV that I sent to an agent and review that before I go but to have it changed?

  8. #8

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    199
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I did a stupid thing in an interview. When I realised the client was looking at a CV that I had never seen before, I did not handle the situation correctly.

    I should have stopped the interview and said "I cannot proceed until I have seen what you have been told" and not budged until they had let me quickly review the CV the agent had sent them. I could then have told them what was not correct.

    Instead I said "I have never seen that CV before. Here's my copy, work from that one" and passed them the CV I take with me. I then let the interview carry on but the interviewer carried on referring to the agency-provided one.

    I never got to see what the discrepancies between the agency CV and the truth were; the interviewer clearly did not believe me and it was all over very quickly.

    So, if you are in the position where the agent has sent a CV that they wrote, you need to see it to continue with the interview in any realistic way.
    Many years ago I was using a 4GL programming tool that had only existed for one year, the agent embellished my CV to show I had ten years experience. The client gave me a copy of the CV - and I gave them an original copy. I was asked to reaply via another agent at a later date and got the gig.

  9. #9

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    26,289
    Thanks (Given)
    1133
    Thanks (Received)
    934
    Likes (Given)
    4254
    Likes (Received)
    3768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Seems difficult to believe that an agency would change your CV that much. I know the CV that I sent to an agent and review that before I go but to have it changed?
    It's happened to me.

    Luckily for me the words were things I had done as routine and as usual I demanded to see a copy of my CV before I was interviewed.

    Unfortunately for the agent, when the client was interviewing more people for different roles and wondering why people's experience didn't match their CVs I told them.

  10. #10

    crap ex-mod

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34,859
    Thanks (Given)
    45
    Thanks (Received)
    514
    Likes (Given)
    259
    Likes (Received)
    2135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's happened to me.

    Luckily for me the words were things I had done as routine and as usual I demanded to see a copy of my CV before I was interviewed.

    Unfortunately for the agent, when the client was interviewing more people for different roles and wondering why people's experience didn't match their CVs I told them.
    I have been asked to change my CV to match a job advert, including adding stuff I don't have. I refused, interviewed on it and the client said thanks for being honest, the last person I interviewed didn't have the stuff their CV said.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.