• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start work without receiving written contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny
    If the contract is not prepared yet then you would be silly to turn down the role or delay it in case the rug is pulled out from under you.

Write to the agency and state that you are willing to start on site Monday pending the contract being sent and subject to terms and conditions agreed and signed off. Give them until the end of the week for complete turnaround. If it's not, then tell the client to intervene by Wednesday and if they won't walk. Make sure that you keep your security pass and proof that you were on site and try and get your timesheet signed off. That way they will still have to pay you on the basis that you were on site based on a temporary verbal agreement pending contracts signed.
    At long last a sensible piece of advice from you Denny.. well done!
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      Good point. I would say Abraxas and Hudson are OK for this kind of problem, but maybe not some others. Don't trust Harvey Nash whatever you do.
      lol - Harvey Nash is in my 'binned for good' folder

Have we ALL done this the hard way?

The mind boggles at the number of contractor hours spent on HN and the others when 10 contractor mins was enough for the entire industry.

Is there room on this site for an agency centric db? It would be a hella useful timesaving tool.

votes? or will I have to post a link next week

erro
      jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

Originally posted by errorista

Have we ALL done this the hard way?

The mind boggles at the number of contractor hours spent on HN and the others when 10 contractor mins was enough for the entire industry.

Is there room on this site for an agency centric db? It would be a hella useful timesaving tool.

votes? or will I have to post a link next week

erro
        I don't want to be a pessimist about this, but isn't the problem that the things that we most need to hear about some agencies are exactly the things that those agencies will seriously attempt to prevent being said. ISTR there was once a site that let contractors rate agencies, but it closed down because some agencies' legal advice suggested that some comments on it were actionable.

I.e. it was shafted by threats and thuggery from the barrow-boys' shysters for letting the cat out of the bag about them.

Comment

Originally posted by sonu
          'They are looking for you to start on Monday,initially for 3 months,at the agreed rate of * per day.I will get the contract to you asap.The contract will show Limited Company name - To be advised.As soon as you have this secured let me have the name and we will re-issue the contracts with the correct company name on them.You will not be able to invoice us until we have your limited company details.'
          Ah, so you don't have a contract because you don't have a company with whom to form the contract.

Don't you think that it might be a good idea to fix that problem PDQ?

(See the link on the right "Company Formation".)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by errorista
            I avoid them at all cost as well, but only because I don't want a protracted arguement about why they are not entitled to 35% of the billing for European jobs. I've no idea if they are better for UK ones.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
              At long last a sensible piece of advice from you Denny.. well done!
              All my advice is pretty accurate, DA. The only time I write silly advice is when I'm larking around on the 'General' forum about contractor issues.

Then my creative genius becomes more apparent.

Comment

Working...
              X