• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Check - defaults but no CCJs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Check - defaults but no CCJs

Hi folks

I've read various threads (including the sticky) on Security Checks, but would really like some advice on credit checks.

I have been offered a position within aerospace/defence and will be credit checked as part of the screening process.

I have had financial issues in the past, but took proactive action and am now on a payment plan with several creditors. Because of this I have a number of defualts recorded, however, crucially no bankruptcy or CCJ's. I am told that the credit check is used for 1) an identity check, and 2) to check there are no bankruptcies or CCJ's recorded.

I guess I'm trying to understand how high the "bar" is to pass the credit check. Has anyone in a similar position been through the process and passed/failed?

If it's a clearance check, then it's not really a case of how creditworthy you are (which can be relevant to banks), but much more importantly that you don't conceal the facts.

The fact you've had past financial issues isn't generally a problem, but make sure that you do put down the info on the forms.

Comment

The banks are looking to see if you are risk to them using financial systems that could be open to fraud. You credit history will give them an idea of how you run your finances and would you ever be in a position to be tempted to abuse your position for your own ends.

I would certainly be nervous of employing someone for a position such as that who regularly misses payments and is constantly in minor finacial scrapes. A well managed CCJ some time ago isn't that big a problem compared to someone who can't keep their finances straight month in month out IMO but can't comment on the banks views.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I appreciate that would be the case for banks, in fact I never apply for banking contracts for that reason. However as I said my opportunity is within aerospace/defence, and I'm trying to establish is this is more for identity check reasons, and whether anything other than major black marks (CCJ's and Bankruptcies) are taken into account.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The banks are looking to see if you are risk to them using financial systems that could be open to fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by StarBuck View Post
          I guess I'm trying to understand how high the "bar" is to pass the credit check. Has anyone in a similar position been through the process and passed/failed?
          I think they are primarily concerned that you may be tempted by bribe/blackmail if you have a debt problem.

I would be ready with a spiel about how you are back on track after a difficult time and all your debts will be cleared etc.

To be honest, if you are earning contractor money then you should be able to get them sorted pretty quick unless they are really bad...
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I appreciate that would be the case for banks, in fact I never apply for banking contracts for that reason. However as I said my opportunity is within aerospace/defence, and I'm trying to establish is this is more for identity check reasons, and whether anything other than major black marks (CCJ's and Bankruptcies) are taken into account.
            As I said earlier, it will be a massive issue if you fail to declare the defaults on the forms and very probably utterly irrelevant if you declare the past issues.

Someone who is honest about potentially embarrassing past history is far less of a security risk than someone who lies even by omission.

Comment

failed a credit check with a bank on just one default no ccj's or anything- don't think aerospace will be as strict (was never credit checked when I was there) but a few defaults may fail it for you. If you think you would fail a credit check done in a shop or for a loan then you may not pass.

that said if you up front with them it me work in your favour as if they like you they may take you anyway as you were honest with them
              sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

I'd say it is probably more for identity/SC clearance in aerospace - never heard of a single credit check being done over the three years I worked in the industry
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

To be honest, if you are earning contractor money then you should be able to get them sorted pretty quick unless they are really bad...
                  sadly defaults stay with you for 6 years so doesn't matter how much you earn- if I could pay money to have mine removed I would as it really was the stupidest thing that caused my default

Comment

Hi folks

I've read various threads (including the sticky) on Security Checks, but would really like some advice on credit checks.

I have been offered a position within aerospace/defence and will be credit checked as part of the screening process.

I have had financial issues in the past, but took proactive action and am now on a payment plan with several creditors. Because of this I have a number of defualts recorded, however, crucially no bankruptcy or CCJ's. I am told that the credit check is used for 1) an identity check, and 2) to check there are no bankruptcies or CCJ's recorded.

I have friends that are cleared to DV level and know a couple of people who work in the clearance section. Even bankruptcies tend not to be a problem (provided that you aren't currently bankrupt - that is you haven't been discharged) so long as they are a) in the past and b) you declare all of them. This is in the public sector, not the banking industry where the rules are different.

As others have said, this is about honesty and susceptibility to blackmail. If your current credit is a mess (as in you are missing payments every month at the moment) then whether or not you declare it, you will almost certainly fail the checks as it displays and inability to manage your personal finances which they equate to other things.

If you have a good reason for the position you ended up in, you dealt (or are dealing) with it and you haven't repeated the exercise, so long as you declare them all you should be fine.

Good luck

Pastalista

Comment

Working...
                    X