• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct contacting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I'm not sure there's any real benefit or extra safety to the client of having an agent. They're shouldering an unknown risk either way.
    Agreed but what I meant was if you can't cut it and leave the client goes and bollocks the agent who then puts the leg work in to 4 suitable candidate. The client doesn't want to take someone new on who is a risk and in the worst case the client has to re-advertise, sort through tons of CV's. re-interview and go through the whole process again. At least with an agent they just call, get some CV's and interview quickly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Further reading..

CUK's Guide to Going Direct

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK View Post
        "Going direct effectively puts more money into your pocket than going via an agent"

I'd like to challenge this as complete nonsense.

If you were a major business, looking to engage a contractor, and you had the choice of an established, financially sound agency, or a one man band, then to take the risk of using a one man band, the client would, and in all cases I've ever heard of, DO, want some kind of incentive to do it.

The only way to make direct contracts worth their while for a client, is to cut out the agency margin, to make the cost to the client lower. If it were a case of "the price is the same, but it's all going to the contractor", most large, risk averse (especially in this climate) clients, who are likely to use contractors, would put a middleman in, to manage the financial side of things, and remove countless other issues with the likes of IR35 and AWD.
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
          and remove countless other issues with the likes of IR35 and AWD.
          I agree about the end client wanting to keep the agent's margin: but this bit?
          The Agency Workers Directive only applies when there is an agency involved, hence the name. Surely that would add "countless other issues", not remove them. And from what I've seen of agency contracts, they involve much more IR35-problematic fettering of the contractor than a contractor's own contract would.

Comment

If you were a major business, looking to engage a contractor, and you had the choice of an established, financially sound agency, or a one man band, then to take the risk of using a one man band, the client would, and in all cases I've ever heard of, DO, want some kind of incentive to do it.
            What exactly is the benefit to the client of using a financially secure agency over a one man band? Either way it's the "one man band" doing the work, and the client isn't the one taking any risk.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The only way to make direct contracts worth their while for a client, is to cut out the agency margin, to make the cost to the client lower. If it were a case of "the price is the same, but it's all going to the contractor", most large, risk averse (especially in this climate) clients, who are likely to use contractors, would put a middleman in, to manage the financial side of things, and remove countless other issues with the likes of IR35 and AWD.
              I'd like to challenge this as complete and utter nonsense.

What the client wants is an established, technically sound consultant.

And I know from experience that going direct is more profitable for me than going through an agency.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                What the client wants is an established, technically sound consultant.
                They do indeed. And if they have the choice of getting that person from a one man band, or from a business which manages all of the risk associated with taking any form of "person" on, they will invariably go down the route of paying a touch more, and having the risks managed, unless there is a significant cost benefit - which means NOT paying the contractor the agency margin.

Please read posts, before throwing your toys out of the pram.

As for the risks - I had an in-depth explanation, but I got logged off the board, so this is the abridged version.

Risks include:

Eligibility to work in the UK. - technically the ltd companies duty, but a MEGA problem if things slip through.
                Reference checking - Who will you blame if the person turns out to murder people?
                De-Motivation
                If a client didn't pay your bill for 90 days, how productive would you be? An agency takes that problem away.
                Payment errors Mistakes happen - if they happen with an agency relationshop, you claim it back - try getting money out of a one man band because its been paid incorrectly!!

These are just a few of the potential risks. I'm not saying the agency model is perfect, but it does reduce risk, and pass the buck for certain businesses. We all know that financial people (who basically run businesses really) like risk aversion.
                "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Eligibility to work in the UK. - technically the ltd companies duty, but a MEGA problem if things slip through.
                  I'm elligible to work in the UK, and what does an agent actually do to ensure a contractor is elligible that a client couldn't do?

Reference checking - Who will you blame if the person turns out to murder people?
                  I've never given references to any agent. Most of us are smart enough to know not to do that.

De-Motivation If a client didn't pay your bill for 90 days, how productive would you be? An agency takes that problem away.
                  Perhaps, but if the contractor had agreed 90 day terms they ought to be fully productive. I recently found out my last agent only gave 30 day terms to the client, which is what I would have said if I'd been working direct.

Payment errors Mistakes happen - if they happen with an agency relationshop, you claim it back - try getting money out of a one man band because its been paid incorrectly!!
                  That's a stupid reason. If I was in the client's position, I'd be far more worried about the agent doing that sort of thing than an individual I knew personally.

What else have you got?
                  Last edited by VectraMan; 14 January 2011, 15:36.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Reference checking - Who will you blame if the person turns out to murder people?[B]
                    You mean when I'm submitting references, I should only use people who don't know about my murders? Damn. I knew there was something I'd been doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      I'm elligible to work in the UK, and what does an agent actually do to ensure a contractor is elligible that a client couldn't do?

I've never given references to any agent. Most of us are smart enough to know not to do that.

Perhaps, but if the contractor had agreed 90 day terms they ought to be fully productive. I recently found out my last agent only gave 30 day terms to the client, which is what I would have said if I'd been working direct.

That's a stupid reason. If I was in the client's position, I'd be far more worried about the agent doing that sort of thing than an individual I knew personally.

What else have you got?

Right now - a stack of roles on my desk that need sorting before I go home, so I'll be back over the weekend with the full version

As for checking eligibility - here, we have a direct checking system with the Home Office, but that's not what most people have - most use the bog standard Passport checked approach - there's nothing that CAN'T be done, but the RISK is that it doesn't get done because of lack of understanding - as I say - big businesses don't like risk.....(and small companies can't usually afford contractors!)
                      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                      X