• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Apple Solutions / BSL - any experience of this agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Apple Solutions / BSL - any experience of this agent?

Hi all

I've been approached by an agent from Blackapple Solutions Ltd re a role that's a reasonable fit, and an ok, but relatively low rate (and they seem to think that my perfectly reasonable current rate expectation is far too high). The only mention of these people I've found is in this thread here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...s-indians.html and I do feel uneasy but I don't want that to be down to simple prejudice.

Part of me feels I can afford to turn down an opportunity that's not perfect, as I'm getting loads of interviews lined up and there seems to be plenty of demand for my skills... but then of course a bird in the hand...

Anyone had any experience of BSL, or any other wisdom for me as a noob just ending his first contract?

TIA

Matt

Right, scratch that, I've grown a pair, and told them to get lost.

Looking more at the detail I see that the client is not an Investment Bank as the BSL agent said, but an Indian outsourcing firm; and the way that such firms I've worked with in the past (as a purchaser of their services) have treated their staff, there's no WAY I'd willingly work there. Plus the job title is massively different to what they said on the phone.

My advice for future searchers who find this thread is - think twice. And then walk away.

Will I regret this if I don't find a new contract and end up benched for a while? No, I don't think so.

Cheers

Matt

Comment

Hmmm, they seem to have a perfectly reasonable web presence with a website here...

Home Page

And they dont seem to be hiding they have an Indian outfit as well as USA and multiple UK sites

Contact Page

They also have a linkedin page here (basic version)

Linkedin page

601K hits in google when searching for 'blackapple solutions' isn't to be sneezed at but can't vouch for why so many as I didn't read them.

Who is doesn't look as amazing though. Indian founder and hubby/wife web company.

Looking at the founder and comments about rates it looks like another Tech Mahindra type set up so don't expect much above poor rates and as someone that might be looking for more money I would wonder if they would favour you over someone that will be more than happy to work for that money... if you get my meaning (am I allowed to say that?)

All looks above board though.

Domain name:
      blackapple-solutions.co.uk

Registrant:
      Jeevaratnam Reddy Thokkudubiyyapu(Blackapple Solutions Ltd)

Registrant type:
      UK Individual

Registrant's address:
      The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
      address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar:
      Peter Andrew Murphy and Claire Susan Murphy t/a Qbic Internet Solutions [Tag = QBIC]
      URL: UK Web Hosting, Website Hosting, Web Hosting UK, Web Hosting - Qbic Internet Solutions

Relevant dates:
      Registered on: 14-Oct-2004
      Renewal date: 14-Oct-2010
      Last updated: 13-Nov-2009

Registration status:
      Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
      ns1.qbicinternet.com
      ns2.qbicinternet.com

WHOIS lookup made at 16:37:34 08-Jul-2010
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They are legit but they do not pay on time

Hello,

I have completed a 6 month contract with BSL and although the contract was a success I would warn that they are very bad at paying invoices on time. Their own contract wording says that they will pay within 30 days of the invoice submission date, and while the first couple were paid on time, it has got steadily worse since then. I have to spend weeks sending nagging emails and trying to escalate with them, to get paid.

Out of 12 invoices, here are the durations that they have paid me in:
        2 invoices were paid on exactly 30 days
        2 invoices were paid in 32 days
        3 invoices were paid after 51 days and much chasing
        1 invoice took 52 days to pay
        1 invoice is currently outstanding, and I am currently chasing, with the running tally currently at 53 days and counting, since I submitted the invoice
        3 invoices are due at the end of August but I do not hold out any hope that they will be paid on time.

Hope this helps,

Maria

Comment

Black Apple Solutions, Tech Mahindra, Damco and Silverlink - trying to get contractors to work for half their usual rate since 2009.

Joking aside, all perfectly polite people when they call but I would not touch any of them with a bargepole unless I was faced with living in a tent.

Their business model is usually to sub-contract from Indian based out-sourcers who cannot fill their own roles for some reason or another.

They will be shortly filed with the agencies trying to flog crap rate public sector contracts inside IR35 whilst staying in some UK back-water town.

Comment

Originally posted by MariaM View Post
            Hello,

I have completed a 6 month contract with BSL and although the contract was a success I would warn that they are very bad at paying invoices on time. Their own contract wording says that they will pay within 30 days of the invoice submission date, and while the first couple were paid on time, it has got steadily worse since then. I have to spend weeks sending nagging emails and trying to escalate with them, to get paid.

Out of 12 invoices, here are the durations that they have paid me in:
            2 invoices were paid on exactly 30 days
            2 invoices were paid in 32 days
            3 invoices were paid after 51 days and much chasing
            1 invoice took 52 days to pay
            1 invoice is currently outstanding, and I am currently chasing, with the running tally currently at 53 days and counting, since I submitted the invoice
            3 invoices are due at the end of August but I do not hold out any hope that they will be paid on time.

Hope this helps,

Maria
            I hope you are using payontime to add interest and penalties

Comment

Working...
            X