• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Which bit: the Canadian bureaucracy or advising people to lie on the clearance application?
    Quite easy to get away with it, they are just as incompetent as any other UK Gov agency.

They totally missed my membership of SPGB and CND when a student when they PV'd me in the 90's and this time didn't know I was previously cleared a short time ago or that my Russian partner recently became British.

They're not some fantastic mystical Super-Agency......

Comment

I have read somewhere that foreigners cannot get SC before they spend some time in the country, correct? I have been in the UK since March 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
        I have read somewhere that foreigners cannot get SC before they spend some time in the country, correct? I have been in the UK since March 2014.
        And where before?

Comment

I must have been wrong, I got confused a few times, maybe it was a condition of the US SC. I hope not to be spreading false information.

I should be fine as a EU national getting a security clearance in the UK then?

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
            I must have been wrong, I got confused a few times, maybe it was a condition of the US SC. I hope not to be spreading false information.

I should be fine as a EU national getting a security clearance in the UK then?
            If you have 5 years significant UK residency, yes...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              And where before?
              Sorry, I did not get your comment. I have been all my life in the Netherlands until this March.

Comment

Excellent. New client has decided that all contractors and permies will be SC so they're going through the process and asked if I minded? Hmm. Let me think.... :-)
                Was first SC in 2005 until 2011 when I left perm employment.

Since its only a 3 month gig I've stuck the form in sharpish. Hoping that they can somehow resurrect it from previous rather than go through it all again.

Anyone know what the current timescale is etc? Or how to find out?

Also, sure someone else asked this one. With xmas coming up and gig ending at end of Feb what happens if its half way through the process when I leave?
                Im assuming since I never worked 'with SC' then it wouldn't be valid?

Not sure how client would be if they got me SC then two weeks later I declined an extension but I guess it'd all be valid in this case?
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Quite easy to get away with it, they are just as incompetent as any other UK Gov agency.
                  as a matter of fact, a colleague of mine did get away with it (we're talking about Basic Disclosure)

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                    as a matter of fact, a colleague of mine did get away with it (we're talking about Basic Disclosure)
                    So, as a "colleague" I assume you are also cleared and have reported him? Otherwise you just breached the OSA and blown your own clearance....
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Of course! I did what every diligent colleague would do

Comment

Working...
                      X