• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

fellow contractor on higher rate then me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fellow contractor on higher rate then me

Hi,

I started my current contract 2 months ago and a couple of other guys started at the same time, one with the same agent. The guy with the same agent as me let it slip that he is on £50 per day more than me which I'm obviously a bit miffed about.

I am planning to challenge the agent as the guy is less experienced than me and I'm pretty sure the agent has increased his margin rather than the client offered less as the permies told me I was the best candidate they interviewed. The other guy was on a higher rate in his previous contract and I suspect this is why the agent offered me less - becuase he though I'd go for it and I did - what a mug!

I'd just like some of advice on how to handle this situation. The contract has 4 weeks left to run but I'm expecting a renewal. My first instinct is to tell the agent to up my rate immediately or I'll walk ...

Build a bridge, get over it.

Use the information at renewal time to up your rate, unless your locked into a long term contract and you really would walk for the sake of £1000 a month.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

WHS

Often happens - if you were happy with the rate offered in the first place what is the problem? Anyway, they maybe lying.

Remember, there will be a time where you are on the higher rate.

Big moral - NEVER discuss you rate with anyone else, unless you are speaking with an agent then tell them what you want, not waht you are on and never in public.
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by hammerip View Post
        .......on £50 per day more than me which I'm obviously a bit miffed about...........
        Why - you were happy with the rate........

I am planning to challenge the agent as the guy is less experienced than me ..............
        No No No...... You were happy with the rate whats to challenge

I suspect this is why the agent offered me less - becuase he though I'd go for it and I did
        Yep

- what a mug!
        Yep/Maybe

I'd just like some of advice on how to handle this situation.
        Live and learn

The contract has 4 weeks left to run but I'm expecting a renewal.
        Boomed

My first instinct is to tell the agent to up my rate immediately or I'll walk ...
        Good luck with that!!
        But seriously don't cut off your nose to spite your face..... you could ask for an increase on/at renewal and yuo might even get it....

Comment

Information is power

You priced yourself at what you thought you and the contract were worth and that's what you got

Agent knew better thus he gets to pocket the difference

This is called running a business and knowing your market

Now you are also in the know, so use this information at renewal time to your advantage

Comment

I'd just like some of advice on how to handle this situation. The contract has 4 weeks left to run but I'm expecting a renewal. My first instinct is to tell the agent to up my rate immediately or I'll walk ...
            Welcome to contracting, this happens all the time. You will find it in virtually every place you work, rates are never even. The other guy just negotiated himself a better deal. I would suggest you say your rate has increased at renewal, if you want some reason, make out you have another offer but don't bring the outher guy into it as it will just reflect badly on you. You are not a permanent employee and so it is for you to negotiate the rate you want. Presumably you have a notice period so can't just walk anyway. Rate reviews at extenstion very common, rate reviews during contract almost unheard of (at least going up that is)!

Comment

Hi,

the guy is more experienced than me when it comes to dealing with agents...
              There you go, fixed it for ya before someone else does.

This is why the pimps get a bad press, but it is in their interest to get the greatest margin they can.

Had one try to completely bum-r@ape me by 100% on top of my rate when I first started. Seems they like fresh meat.

Comment

Hi,
                The guy with the same agent as me let it slip that he is on £50 per day more than me which I'm obviously a bit miffed about.....
                My first instinct is to tell the agent to up my rate immediately or I'll walk ...
                If it was me, I'd have told you £100 - just before your renewal.

Comment

I imagine a lot of us have gone through this at some time or other. I did it with a permie job about ten years ago. Got friendly with another new starter, went for a pint and somehow told him my salary, only to find out he was on a lot less than me. Felt really stupid, though he was a fair bit younger than me and, as noted above, we'd both negotiated salaries we were happy with when we took it. I've kept me gob shut ever since.

It still rankles if you happen to find out what you could have got though. I was accidentally copied in to an email exchange about my renewal on one contract and it included a line which went something like, "The new rate of 350 per day is agreed as it is well below our upper limit of 420 per day" !!!

Comment

Bear in mind the other bloke who reckons he's on a bigger rate will want you to not extend because it gives him a much better chance of a renewal. It's dog eat dog amongst contractors and you might get eaten if you're not careful. Think about it. I never reveal my rate to other contractors because rates can go either way between contractors and I'd rather not know.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X