• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Development Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Development Help

I am a newbie on here looking for some advice.
    I have been contracting, in the desktop/server support side of the game, for the past 6 years but I am increasingly getting bored with the whole thing and thinking of moving over to Software development.
    I have done very little SD and even at that was at college 6-8 years ago.
    I have been looking about at what skills are sought after and Java and Oracle stuff is mentioned quite alot.
    How easy is it to pick this stuff up.
    What are the costs and for a complete novice, how long do you think it would take to learn.
    I need a career change...and would welcome any good advice.

Thanks in advance

Well if you are going to get into SD then Java´s a good thing to get into, especially J2EE. The problem you have is you´ve no experience. Either you want to look at a permie job or working for next to nothing. One possibility might be an open source development project. It would also be worth getting a cerificate to give clients/employers more confidence.

Comment

Getting a certificate will count for nothing. There aren't any generally recognised ones anyway and, for development, employers are looking for real use of the language, they will ignore exam results except for trainee entrants.

The Open source route is a good one though.

Tim

Comment

Working...
      X