• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional day - How many hours?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    I am in what I call a 'strange' situation. I have agreed a daily rate after client confirmed that normal working hours are 8:30-16:30 (with 30 min lunch break), which makes the working week 37.5h.
    However the agency have written in the contract that the normal working week is 40h.

Are they trying to pull a fast one on me and when the time-sheets say 7.5/day would only pay me pro-rata?
    I have not signed the contract yet and didn't have a chance to speak to them - got it late on Friday.
    My guess is the agency are probably using a standard contract that covers more than one client.

I'd just ask for an amendment so it's a PWD and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
      I am in what I call a 'strange' situation. I have agreed a daily rate after client confirmed that normal working hours are 8:30-16:30 (with 30 min lunch break), which makes the working week 37.5h.
      However the agency have written in the contract that the normal working week is 40h.

Are they trying to pull a fast one on me and when the time-sheets say 7.5/day would only pay me pro-rata?
      I have not signed the contract yet and didn't have a chance to speak to them - got it late on Friday.
      Get it fixed.

They probably saw 8:30 - 16:30 and thought 8 * 5!

You should try to switch it to professional working day and get the actual times scrubbed.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

At my desk for 740am every morning and leave at 430. Take half hour away from my desk so that's near enough 8.5 hours.

My 'professional day' is 7.5h according to the company I'm working for so I'm doing more than I should.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
          My 'professional day' is 7.5h according to the company I'm working for so I'm doing more than I should.
          7.5 hours is a minimum working day surely? Not a professional one.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            7.5 hours is a minimum working day surely? Not a professional one.
            Agreed.

One of my colleagues was once called in from the pub, when there was a late one going on.
            He said "its at your own risk to export an emergency change, to Production, as I have quite a few drinks inside me."

Unsure whether you would say that was part of the "professional" working day, however.

The client I'm engaged by, currently, pays a "working day" for anything greater than 5 hours. I know quite a few others do the same.
            I have used it to my advantage sometimes and never had any issues.

People remember who gets the job done and ask you back, for repeat business, its as simple as that.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
              My guess is the agency are probably using a standard contract that covers more than one client.

I'd just ask for an amendment so it's a PWD and go from there.
              Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Get it fixed.

They probably saw 8:30 - 16:30 and thought 8 * 5!

You should try to switch it to professional working day and get the actual times scrubbed.
              Thanks. All updated now. The contract does state professional working day and no start/end times. Normal working hours are now 37.5h / week.
              Last edited by zonkkk; 26 September 2016, 12:06.

Comment

Scales of Justice

In the contract negotiations, I don't mind a 40 hour week being quoted but prefer 5 professional working days. I think most clients expect 8 hours per day, these days. I almost always insist on a weekend/bank holiday working rate of 1½ or double time. If the agent declines, I point out that I will not be available for this without an agreed rate in advance (and I certainly won't work at standard rate).

At the start of the contract, I try to exceed the expectation; start early, finish late and make sure the boss/client sees this. I'll even do the odd weekend change "for free."

As time goes on and trust is built, I tend to keep a running balance in my head, like a balance. While I may book 8 hours per day on my timesheet, I tend to work a little more and keep the balance in the client's favour. Then, if I need to take a short day, I feel it's fair to do so. But I always keep the boss happy.

However, I know other contractors who bill every second to the client, regardless of the contract. If they step over the 40 hour notional figure by even a small margin, they bill. If they work a weekend, they bill at overtime rate. If they go over the 8 hour day, they bill at the overtime rate.

in the end, it depends how valuable you are. But ethically, I like to ensure the client gets value for money (and a bit more).

Comment

Working...
                X