• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called today with the 'Need two references before we can submit your CV' game by Nick Hughes at Square One.

Naughty Naughty.

Comment

Amoria Bond got me with this yesterday.

Applied on jobserve, 40 minute phone call discussing role ( I was driving didn't have anything else to do) just need two references to put you forward.
      Nope, not falling for that - if an offer is made I will be forthcoming with references.
      This email today:

I wanted to clarify with my client first of all if they would accept an application if the candidate is unwilling to supply references. The hiring manager said it would have been fine for her, but no way it would get past HR.

Unfortunately due to this, I can't process your application.

Thanks for your time yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Stamkos91 View Post

Applied on jobserve, 40 minute phone call discussing role ( I was driving didn't have anything else to do) just need two references to put you forward.
        Nope, not falling for that - if an offer is made I will be forthcoming with references.
        This email today:

I wanted to clarify with my client first of all if they would accept an application if the candidate is unwilling to supply references. The hiring manager said it would have been fine for her, but no way it would get past HR.

HR being the initials of the pimp's boss I take it?

Never been pressured into giving references, always said I'm happy to supply them once I'm well down the interview process. The better agents tend not to and behave more like account managers than sales staff.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Had one last week from Palm IT. Didn't have a role but wanted a fresh CV.

Along with the email came the 'As discussed, please send a copy of your CV, along with 2 references'

Sorry Jake, but I reported it to Hotmail as a phishing scam!

Comment

Had a call from somebody yesterday who just chased me up for my response to their email - my first thought was to pop over to CUK for a canned "two references" response for my email

Comment

Got called today about a job that they would like to put me forward for but they do need a previous hiring manager to confirm my experience around 3 different areas!

Comment

I had an interesting take on this a few months ago: agent called me, name dropped many people that I knew thus having me off guard and I confirmed one of the names he read out was my line manager. He then called my line manager and offered him the same role and let him know he had been speaking to me.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

This email today:

I'm calling from Amoria Bond....

Lovely, click....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This email today:

Amoria Bond put fake ads up all the time to source references and new business for themselves. Also known to try to force contractors to use payroll. Don't waste time with them.

Comment

Looking for a .NET gig in London at the moment and I've been plagued by nuisance calls (although to be fair there are plenty of legit agency jobs being put my way). Most of them come from having my details on CWJobs.

Just a heads up that some agencies are now pretending to be employers recruiting directly. One called me claiming to be from the BBC, the other from Lloyds Banking Group. Again they blah blah blah you at first and then get to the we need a reference thing - or they'll say they need to know who you've got offers/2nd interviews with. I don't need to say how disastrous it is for you to get additional competition at this stage.

Another thing I've found is that some agencies will promise to forward you to their client but never do. If you particularly want to work at a specific client and it's through an agency then just be aware your details might never have been sent there.

For what it's worth I got my last two gigs without needing references .

Comment

Working...
                      X