• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
    just saw this

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN URGENT REQUIRMENT SO PLEASE SEND YOUR CV WITH 2 REFEREE'S IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED!
    yeah, right
    So now you've got to send your referees' CVs as well? Damn.

Comment

Putting client information on CV

What about putting your current or most recent client's Company Name on CV? I am working for a very small company where its quite possible that if I put the company's name on the CV and if Pimp calls to the number on the website then manager is most likely to answer the call. In such case How can I show my current work on my CV without disclosing the references in such wayq?

Comment

Call yesterday:

Agent:
        We have a SQL/BI role in Cheshire that has just come up in the financial sector.

Me:
        Oh really? What is the rate?

Agent:
        £450/day

Me:
        Oh really? I am definitely interested then (not really just playing with agent's head), can you tell me which bank it is?

Agent:
        Not yet we are just short-listing and we have 6 excellent CVs including yours. We will select 3 of those and they will definitely get an interview. However we just need to screen you so require 2 references. We can't tell you because of client confidentiality (coughs bollox)

Me:
        No interview, no references.

Agent:
        Oh ok, well a colleague of mine will be in touch to see how suitable you will be for the role.

Me:
        Ok excellent, I will wait his (imaginary) call

Agent:
        Are you sure you don't want to put references through it will increase your chances of getting through

Me:
        No thanks, I am happy to give them upon interview confirmation/offer.

I knew it was a lie from the minute he said £450/day for a SQL/BI role for an unnamed bank in Cheshire.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
          In fairness to K2, they have just secured me my first contract, and this is after I gave them two references upfront which I know they contacted straight away...but in this case I was ok with it as contractor friends I know have used K2 before. A few other agencies I spoke to also asked the same but as neither I nor my friends had heard of them before, I didn't give any refs to them.
          So which agent are you then?

Comment

I have recently returned to freelancing after several years as a wage slave.

In my former freelance days many agencies requested I provide two references. Probably the most blatant of these scams was the requirement to "comply with our Quality Assurance Standards by providing the contact details of two referees before your CV can be presented to a client".

Any agent demanding references got a very blunt reply that "It is our company policy not to provide personal details of past clients to recruitment agencies".

Over a sixteen year period a total; of THREE pimps told me "my failure to provide references meant they would not be able to represent me to the client". The rest either binned my CV quietly leaving me none the wiser, or decided it would be foolish to turn down 30 to 40 per cent of my weekly invoice.

These days, nobody asks me for references. They just ask to be my friend on LinkedIn instead ;-)

Comment

Which is why I reject pimp requests on LinkedIn.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                So which agent are you then?
                Sorry, don't understand the question?

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
                  Sorry, don't understand the question?
                  We are a bit cynical of 1st time posters praising agents. If you're not you'll see others being challenged as well.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
                    just saw this

yeah, right
                    My references are Ben Dover and Neil Down with Ivor Bigun as contingency.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                      As a SAP consultant/contractor I have to call you out on this, the 2 reference process is a scam done by your industry to try and secure fiurther business. All my contracts have been secured without providing references.
                      Don't generalise.

Tek Systems actually take references and then call them to get a proper idea of you as a candidate. I know this because:

a) I have been given as a referee and made references for for ex colleagues as a result.
                      b) Given my own references the other week, to go forward for a senior banking role. Both my referees called me after they had had the chat with the agent. ( I have the interview next week )
                      c) I was on friendly terms (read almost family) with one of the senior business managers so I know how they go for new business...

At no point in the process have Tek-Systems ever tried to send me unsolicited CV's as a result of giving several references for colleagues, and further more neither have they since approached the two senior managers that gave my references...
                      Failing to give them references will ensure you never get put forwards... As they won't handle unknown quantities. (Its one of their USP's in the industry!)

Yes there are clowns out there that abuse this process but not all of the companies do.

Comment

Working...
                      X