• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARK "International". Muppets.

Comment

I just tell them my previous client has a no references policy as regards contractors. They don't give references for contractors nor do they ask for them. This time it's true as it happens, but I've said it before when that's not been the case. References for contractors are worthless in any case. It's almost certainly the contractor's mate on the end of the phone and what does it matter anyway? If you're no good the client can show you the door immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Malingering BA View Post
        I just tell them my previous client has a no references policy as regards contractors. They don't give references for contractors nor do they ask for them. This time it's true as it happens, but I've said it before when that's not been the case. References for contractors are worthless in any case. It's almost certainly the contractor's mate on the end of the phone and what does it matter anyway? If you're no good the client can show you the door immediately.
        It's a fair point that, however many clients simply don't understand that and ask for them anyway.

That being said I know I've been given as referee for 4 people on recent roles and been actually asked for the reference a total of zero times. In the last 15 years of acting as referee I've been approached exactly once and that was about a dozen years back.

Comment

A few years back when people seemed to be more interested in references for contractors I was running a team of mainly contract BAs who came and went quite often. When I was bothered for references the conversation nearly always went like this...

Q: Is that Malingering BA at clientco?
          A: Yes.

Q: Do you know 'x'?
          A: Yes.

Q: Did he work for you at clientco?
          A: He was contracted to my team, yes.

Q: Can I just check the dates he worked there?
          A: Sorry, I don't have that information to hand.

Q: How was he? Any good at his work? What was his timekeeping like?
          A: Sorry, I don't give personal comments on previous team members. Bye.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

I had never really thought about this before. My CV is registered on various recruitment sites, and includes references because it had always seemed to me like its just one of the things a CV has on it.

After reading this post I'm starting to think having them on there might be a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Robster View Post
                I had never really thought about this before. My CV is registered on various recruitment sites, and includes references because it had always seemed to me like its just one of the things a CV has on it.

After reading this post I'm starting to think having them on there might be a bad idea.
                If you have any respect for your referees I would advise you to remove that section and update the recruitment sites.

Comment

Yes, a very bad idea. You don't want them to get hacked off by cold calling agents and then not want to give you a reference.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Malingering BA View Post
                      Yes, a very bad idea. You don't want them to get hacked off by cold calling agents and then not want to give you a reference.

Would you mind if I use your good self as a reference ?

I already have myself nominated myself as a self-reference so I need only one more.

But what I really would like to know is - how come there is only one Monopoly Comission ?

Surely I cannot be alone in my concern ?

Comment

Working...
                      X