• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BurdockTheContractor View Post
    "Oh, I haven't received any reply from those references. Can you provide two different ones because the Client really needs two references before you start working."
    Did you give them valid references in the first place?

You haven't given enough information for any kind of discussion here but this could be slightly different because you mention start working. Might be worth being wary here. It could be the agent is being smarter than your average two references before submitting sham but..... I've been with a client and then came back to them again and in both cases I was advised I would need then before I start work. Fair enough, if I get the gig I'll give a reference. Got the gig, gave the references (just agent contacts) and confirmedat at least one was contacted checking dates. Got on site and confirmed the client does expect the agent to check two references.

Pretty rare it seems but refusing to give a valid reference could lose you the gig here.

All that said it could still be a load of agent hogwash but done a little differently/smarter than normal.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It did turn out to be agent hogwash.

I did give valid references and neither of them were ever contacted by the agent. Also turned out that Client never wanted the references anyway.

I've started the gig now but the project is a field of tulips. Smile and invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by BurdockTheContractor View Post
        It did turn out to be agent hogwash.

I did give valid references and neither of them were ever contacted by the agent. Also turned out that Client never wanted the references anyway.

I've started the gig now but the project is a field of tulips. Smile and invoice.
        Last time an agency tried this one with me a few months ago ("client insists on getting references from you, could you provide 2 so that we can pass them on") I just offered to pass this directly to the client once they'd offered.

Agency said that client wouldn't offer without references (which was rubbish btw...) so I offered to pass them on to client at my interview - agent couldn't push back on that one and guess what: client never asked for them.

I did find out later that client had contacted some connections we had in common for an informal chat about my style etc but that was it.

Comment

Article by a former (contractor) recruiter:
          How agency recruiters are targeted and what this means for you - Fluxible

Comment

I just need to get two references ...

Been contacted by Damco today... humoured the off-shore agent on the phone who struggled to describe the contract, and followed up with a right to represent email containing this nugget:
            "Please provide two points of reference prior to interview – This is in line with are SLA 'S/ ISO 9000 Certification."
            Yeah right...

Comment

I am slightly conflicted on this one because I have got a role purely based on a reference(which I was reluctant to give).
              I guess there is only a tiny chance of that happening, which is why I never give reference before an actual interview.

Comment

Vine resources

Sneakily asked in email. Backed off with little effort.

Comment

Was never asked for any refs by current pimp for current gig.

Had it a few times but it is rare.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

recruiter approached for a gig starting on monday, telling there is a phone interview and if ok, on friday a face to face one. But cause he is in very good terms with the hiring manager he said could send me straight to the f2f if i send him references....

Comment

Originally posted by biergarten View Post
                      recruiter approached for a gig starting on monday, telling there is a phone interview and if ok, on friday a face to face one. But cause he is in very good terms with the hiring manager he said could send me straight to the f2f if i send him references....
                      That old

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X