Posts 1,121 to 1,130 of 1134

Nice But Dim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    You should have said
    "Ok then. First reference is Agent for client co A and second reference is agent for client co B"
    FTFY.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I live on CUK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    FTFY.
    No you haven't.

You would have put Mr [agent name] client co A and Ms [agent name ] client co B.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default We put you in front of Clients

Got a call and the sweet talking chap told me about how they get my info and advertise me to clients. He said 40% (nice round number) of their placements were done this way!
    I told him excellent model but reference only on acceptance please. Didn't seem like he was interested in using the other method with 60% success.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalx View Post
    Got a call and the sweet talking chap told me about how they get my info and advertise me to clients. He said 40% (nice round number) of their placements were done this way!
    I told him excellent model but reference only on acceptance please. Didn't seem like he was interested in using the other method with 60% success.
    You could gave him the name of your ex-manager 'Ivor Bigun' at Citi Bank at Canary Wharf, only contactable via their HR department, you should have told him...

More time posting than coding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had a call from Tek Systems - this was my first encounter of them! Very vague and faffy description of the job on offer, which just so happened to be "a perfect match" for my skills on offer, despite not telling me the location (not even a nearest town) for the gig. The rate also just happened to be about 20% more than I was on at my current gig too - funny that!

After a few minutes it became all too clear it was a fish and this lead to the usual "Now, Matt, I want to put you forward for this role but in my experience this particular client do like to have a technical reference to accompany an application - its highly likely to increase your chance of an interview!" - I asked if the guy had heard of LinkedIn, and suggested he look at my endorsements and recommendations there.

Do these people really think anyone is just going to give contact details out like this over the phone!?

Contractor Among Contractors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfx View Post
    Do these people really think anyone is just going to give contact details out like this over the phone!?
    Even if only 1 in 20 fall for it, it's still worth trying. People who haven't been for a long time on the market, don't know the agent games and tricks yet and will fall for it one or two times.

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattfx View Post
    Just had a call from Tek Systems - this was my first encounter of them! Very vague and faffy description of the job on offer, which just so happened to be "a perfect match" for my skills on offer, despite not telling me the location (not even a nearest town) for the gig. The rate also just happened to be about 20% more than I was on at my current gig too - funny that!

After a few minutes it became all too clear it was a fish and this lead to the usual "Now, Matt, I want to put you forward for this role but in my experience this particular client do like to have a technical reference to accompany an application - its highly likely to increase your chance of an interview!" - I asked if the guy had heard of LinkedIn, and suggested he look at my endorsements and recommendations there.

Make sure you block the time wasting pricks number as well. Eventually when nobody will speak to them they will get the message.

Fingers like lightning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Certes demanding references just to be allowed for consideration onto the shortlist for putting forward

had to laugh

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    Certes demanding references just to be allowed for consideration onto the shortlist for putting forward

had to laugh
    Did you get the client name? Location? Description of the Project? - Bet not

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Oh, I haven't received any reply from those references. Can you provide two different ones because the Client really needs two references before you start working."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 114 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 LastLast