• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's more amusing when you have had a contract through them that has legitimately needed references, as you know that it is some newbie agent who has been told to hit the phones.
    Did a gig in Manchester where the client requested, and checked references. Had a good laugh with the agent about the stick she got with contractors telling her no even though she was very clear they would be requested after the offer and not until. She knew the game and said she knew it wasn't going to be fun when the client specifically said they wanted them. Some agents, it appears, can be thoroughly agreeable individuals.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      You know there are other more effective ways you can make contacts with people.

I've seen agencies in action and I have to say harassing some random IT bod is a waste of you time when the company has an HR.
      For some reason I've started getting loads of calls, emails myself as someone looking for contractors. Looks like someone has dropped my name to an agent!

The "clutching at straws" approach is amazing to see in action.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        For some reason I've started getting loads of calls, emails myself as someone looking for contractors. Looks like someone has dropped my name to an agent!

The "clutching at straws" approach is amazing to see in action.
        Them or you?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Them or you?
          Both. I'd imagine it's a glorious scene, akin to two Alpine ibex headbutting each other until someone backs down.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I had that as a permie dev a long while back, started getting quite a few calls calls to my work phone (asking for me by name and bypassing the reception filter, I'm guessing because I was involved in interviewing a fair few people around that time and my name must have been given back to the agents) and before I'd even said I'm not responsible for hiring the desperate sales pitches started... those were the only calls I ever got so I just disconnected the line

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Both. I'd imagine it's a glorious scene, akin to two Alpine ibex headbutting each other until someone backs down.
              Ha. I've had about 20 CVs sent to me by random agents asking me if I need contractors.....

NLUK - Sure I've seen yours somewhere ;-) Key skills - Excel spreadsheets - is that you?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Back in 2001 I had my own cv land on my desk from Progressive. Needless to say I gave them a call to see how good this guy was, then asked them to delete me.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Back in 2001 I had my own cv land on my desk from Progressive. Needless to say I gave them a call to see how good this guy was, then asked them to delete me.
                  When I left my permie job I got a call from a pimp about a role that was a 'perfect fit for me', told him I should hope so as the job spec was for the role I'd just resigned from, I pointed that out and he just put the phone down!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Ha. I've had about 20 CVs sent to me by random agents asking me if I need contractors.....

NLUK - Sure I've seen yours somewhere ;-) Key skills - Excel spreadsheets - is that you?
                    Did it also list his ability to use the search function

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                      When I left my permie job I got a call from a pimp about a role that was a 'perfect fit for me', told him I should hope so as the job spec was for the role I'd just resigned from, I pointed that out and he just put the phone down!
                      Had something similar. Just started a new contract and two weeks in, a pimp approached me with my own new role. After telling him I was already doing this role, he refused to believe me because they had an "exclusive" deal with ClientCo

Comment

Working...
                      X