• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    Heard a shocker yesterday. Agent asked me the usual "So can you tell me any companies you've been put forward to?" and I told him I'm not going to do that since it would hurt my chances there, and he replied "But we might have a relationship with that company and we could help push your application with them.". I wanted to say "So you are going to call that client and try and get another agency commission out of the goodness of your heart?" but I just kept quiet and he realized the stupidity of his comment and then carried on with "OK well if we come across any roles we'll get in touch."

Total timewaster too, he was a permie recruiter, so I cut him off at the start of the call saying I'm looking for contracts only, so he pulled the old "my colleague does contracts, so tell me everything and I'll pass it along to them", but he was blatantly fishing for details of my previous role so he could place a permie there (asked me everything I did there, size of the team, usual fact finding).
    Not so much a shocker as par for the course. I'm going back direct to a previous client and they are using an agency to do the invoicing, agent gets in contact and the first thing he asks for is 2 references! Once I stopped laughing I told him how silly that was and if he wanted 2 references he can have the names of the dev manager and HR bod at my old client that his agency have been engaged by, he didn't push it any further

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Not so much a shocker as par for the course. I'm going back direct to a previous client and they are using an agency to do the invoicing, agent gets in contact and the first thing he asks for is 2 references! Once I stopped laughing I told him how silly that was and if he wanted 2 references he can have the names of the dev manager and HR bod at my old client that his agency have been engaged by, he didn't push it any further
      I was more shocked that he thought I was that stupid! Fed up with the fishing calls now, but I usually go into detail on my previous role anyway in the hopes that I'll make some sort of impression in their minds and they'll remember me if they ever actually do get a real role. Probably a fool's hope...

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Never gigged through them but have found TEKsystems pimp's more ruthless when it came to references, always wanting to meet up for coffee etc.

I know all pimps do this but TS seemed to be far more forthright and quite shameless in asking for them.

qh
        Quackers,

The Aston Carter as-was arm of TEK is very good. not sure if they're doing the equivalent of trying to move all divisions to one commission model but the more aggressive arms worked on a lower basic, higher commission model. From what I've heard, Aston Carter used to be more of a higher basic, lower commission model, fussier about their recruiters and keener to build relationships than sell, sell, sell. That could be changing, which would be a shame.

If the market's bad, there's no point them making it worse for all of us.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I see Roc Search are still at it, usual spiel this morning and the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
            I see Roc Search are still at it, usual spiel this morning and the inevitable.
            And again with a role a perfect glove fit and paying more than they advertised....

Comment

Solution is 2 anonymous testimonials?

Weird agency today insisted on 2 refs on the phone at length claiming it made his candidates "stand out", followed up half hour later with an email insisting this was "the way he works and it makes his candidates better for some reason" etc. again at length. Suspect he was just bored on a Friday. I referred him to this thread.

Gave me an idea -

How about giving the agent 2 anonymous but genuine Testimonials?

A bit like crap shampoo adverts that quote "Lisa, Bristol" agreeing that a coconut based-hair product is great.

I have a really nice "goodbye and thanks" email from a very senior person that really fits the bill for that, it's like he wrote the strapline of an advert for me.

If agent insists on the contact details of the person who gave you the nice review, then he's fishing.

If agent says "OK as long as you can forward me the genuine emails where these 2 testimonials are copied from, after offer, then I accept them as "2 references" and you have fulfilled my bulltulip criteria for wasting your time on a Friday.

Comment

I've had this from Aston Carter in London on several occasions.

Never dealt with such amateurs in my life.. Avoid these idiots like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                  I've had this from Aston Carter in London on several occasions.

Never dealt with such amateurs in my life.. Avoid these idiots like the plague.
                  Mine was from Real Resourcing

I assume they are being ironic. Avoid ironic agencies too.

Comment

I had the same from iO associates. Asked me for reference and i gave him two names without contact details indicating that i would give contact details once the process progresses but a couple of days later he contacts me to say oh he has been in touch with my contacts and one of them is no longer with said company. I was livid and the cherry on the cake was he asked me for alternatives Well i've learnt from that one!

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
                      I had the same from iO associates. Asked me for reference and i gave him two names without contact details indicating that i would give contact details once the process progresses but a couple of days later he contacts me to say oh he has been in touch with my contacts and one of them is no longer with said company. I was livid and the cherry on the cake was he asked me for alternatives Well i've learnt from that one!
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X