• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to obtain Security clearance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to obtain Security clearance?

How does one obtain SC clearance? Can one apply before getting a contract, to make more jobs available?

Originally posted by sooty99 View Post
    How does one obtain SC clearance? Can one apply before getting a contract, to make more jobs available?
    Try doing a search in other threads. Try visiting the DVA web site.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by sooty99 View Post
      How does one obtain SC clearance?
      Simple. Get a contract that requires you to have it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Simple. Get a contract that requires you to have it.

But be prepared to wait 4-6 weeks for clearance before you can actually start the contract. This depends on the client, some government places let you start whilst the security vetting goes through, some won't let you near them.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

And the rest ...

Sad fact but because of the world we live in takes more like 3 -4 months
          Just sliding through ..........

Comment

Originally posted by MB99 View Post
            Sad fact but because of the world we live in takes more like 3 -4 months

Maybe I should have asked for a retainer whilst I'm sat at home twiddling my thumbs. They don't know I've nothing else lined up so far.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Assuming it goes through OK!

That assumes that it goes through OK, not all do!
              Just sliding through ..........

Comment

... must.... learn... to .... post

Comment

I'm pretty sure that unless it's an MOD position, it is ILLEGAL for people to require this.

I've seen it plastered all over recruitment sites, but they really aren't allowed to do this. As Mal says (guru that he is) if a position requires it (and is a genuine gvt position) then they will vet you as part of the application process.

If you see a job advertised that's non government and requires SC, with a "immediate start" you can bet your bottom dollar they are just jumping on the SC bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by MB99 View Post
                    That assumes that it goes through OK, not all do!
                    True. Fortunately the only bad mark they'll find is one speeding offence. I almost didn't to put it on the forms, thinking it's not a proper criminal conviction (didn't physically go to court etc), until I got to the third set of forms where they want to know everything except parking tickets. So declared it on both forms to be on the safe side and consistent.

At the interview they admitted they lose a lot of applicants due to the delay, as they often find work elsewhere. Not sure that's still the case in the current climate. I suppose I'll find out in the coming weeks, or months!
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X