• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinions on new website / business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of reservation engine are you using?

Just curious...

Comment

re: .

We're not using any reservation engine.
      If you find a flight you like the look of, click on 'book now' and that takes you to the airline for that particular site and you book with them.

Cheers
      A

Comment

Oh. I get it.

So you're screen scraping the airline websites. Excellent idea.

An intelligent, fast search engine that brings up the *best* prices is the key to making it work.

And to speed up the searches, what about having some little bots running around airline websites maintaining a local database of flight deals that you could display - loud and clear - on the front page.

travelzoo.com have been doing this for about 5 years.

IMHO you are wasting your time with all the DHTML and 'content'. No one ever made a successful website out of looking pretty. Better to focus on the flight searches.

Toby

Comment

re: Oh. I get it

We do maintain a database of flight deals (under the Information menu -> Farecaster) :

www.flitesite.co.uk/cache...ontinent=1

But this just contains flights that people have executed a search on over the past few days, rather than pulling huge amounts of information from the airline websites every day.

Cheers
          A

Comment

The gist of this thread has been that people have suggested/wondered if your site offers a particular feature, and you have responded that it does, and cut and pasted a link.

Doesn't this tell you something? That the user experience is lacking any kind of intuitiveness. i.e. a user logs onto the site, and fom the word go is confused.

e.g. What is a 'Farecaster'? I know now because you told me, but having a very cursory glance round the site (and that's all you can ever expect of a user), I had no idea such a thing existed.

How 'bout rethinking the navigation/homepage. Prob'ly not what you want to hear, but IMHO I don't think you're going to get anywhere with the site the way it is now.

Comment

Well I think it looks and works pretty well myself. Nice bit of work that

Comment

Re: .

The whole point of the thread was (as you can guess from the title), I wanted peoples opinions - and they have been giving them - thank you.
                I've taken these observations on board, and will be making changes based upon the comments.
                Please keep them coming - this is the sort of thing I need to know!

Cheers
                A

Comment

Working...
                X