• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Night shift rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night shift rate

Just been informed that between the dept there is a need to cover 12am-7am and to 'go away and think about it.

There are 4 contractors (including myself) all from the same agency so we're getting together to talk about how we should approach the agency regarding rate and to make sure we are all consistent in our negotiations.

All the other contractors are going through the agency's umbrella service and I am the only Ltd - not that that matters a hoot, just thought I'd throw that in for complete picture purposes

We're thinking time and a half - does that sound reasonable?

It will be 1 night shift replacing a day shift so effectively one day a week is an overnighter (with preferably no sh|t hitting the fan).
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On
    It will be 1 night shift replacing a day shift so effectively one day a week is an overnighter (with preferably no sh|t hitting the fan).

How will that work? You do your day shift, home for a few hrs and then straight into your night shift followed by a day off

Or do you, for example, finish on Tues at 5pm, come in on Wed at midnight and work right through to 5pm?

If it's the former it could be a right PITA depending on your commute. If the latter then it's a 17 hour shift - not nice either.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
      How will that work? You do your day shift, home for a few hrs and then straight into your night shift followed by a day off

Or do you, for example, finish on Tues at 5pm, come in on Wed at midnight and work right through to 5pm?

If it's the former it could be a right PITA depending on your commute. If the latter then it's a 17 hour shift - not nice either.
      Agreed, woudlnt it make more sense to just take it in turns working a week of nights?

Oh, and double time, min.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2
        Agreed, woudlnt it make more sense to just take it in turns working a week of nights?

Oh, and double time, min.
        Agreed.

Need to be careful that you don't end up losing a days billable work in the week otherwise.

Comment

When the sun goes down, the rate goes up.

Across the board Double Time will offend their wallets, and you don't want to be let go. Best to appear to be reasonable:

I'd, go for stages:

18:00 - 20:00 = x rate
          20:00 - 00:00 = y rate
          etc...

Good luck.

Comment

At least time and a half. Double time if you actually have to do something!

Can you not just be on call offsite overnight instead? Get paid a flat fee for being available, plus double time for any time on-site (minimum of 1 hour). That might be a better arrangement if you can wing it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread, but in a few months, I will also have a dilemma on rate due to shifts. My current gig pays x amount daily for 7 1/2 hours a day. Normal working hours are 9-5.30 according to the original job spec (but as a LTD company, I'm doing pretty much what I like as long as I get the work done). This will then move to a shift pattern that I have yet to find out specifics about, but from what I gather, it's 4 days on, 4 off, 12 hour shifts each day. I presume 1 week of nights, one of days. (7am -7pm and 7pm -7am)
              I said when I agreed to do the gig that I would have to renegotiate rate once the shift pattern starts - not working 12 hour days for same daily rate, especially not night shifts. Agency says we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
              Just had a horrible thought that when it gets to it, it might actually be a problem as I have nothing in writing? Just my daily rate up to Feb 1st 2008. I'm not expecting to have to do it for 3 months at least, maybe more, but still... Am only on 2nd day of contract so notice is just 1 week - would I be best off getting this sorted out now when I can get out quickly if I don't like what I hear, or can I do the job until the shift pattern is announced and then go if I don't like the revised terms (notice will be officially 4 weeks by then)? Are they even revised terms? I'm not sure now I write this.
              Hmmm... how confusing. I think I'd better give the agency a call!
              {Edit} Just called Agency and they still want to cross that bridge when we get to it. He understands where I'm coming from, but he says we will talk to the client about it when we know when it's going to happen. At the moment the project is so airy-fairy, that nobody knows when anything's going to happen!

What rates would you for if going from 7 1/2 days to 12 hour nights?!

Cheers
              Ruth
              Last edited by ruth11; 2 August 2007, 15:08.

Comment

Presumably the 4 on 4 off will mean you are working weekends as well? That's a BIG change .... I used to do this years ago and it completely screws up your life.

Years ago when I was a permie shift allowance was a set rate rather than a salary %. At that time the shift allowance for a standard shift pattern (earlies, lates, nights no weekends) was about £100 a week, for the 4 on / 4 off variety about £150 a week. This was in the 80s so would expect a big jump since then! At the time this equated to about 40% of my basic for the standard shifts and 60% of my basic for the 4 on / 4 off. I was on the low end of the scale so the % went down as my salary went up - if that makes sense?

Jog on - I would go for at least 50% increase

Ruth - I do something now - 4 on 4 off is HORRIBLE

Windy

Comment

Check your contract and see if it states how many hours a day constitutes, and what it says about overtime rates.

I would get this sorted out now, they will probably try to mess you around when you have a 4 week notice.

Comment

Working...
                  X