• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever had a problem with DABS.com. Cos it's court time.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever had a problem with DABS.com. Cos it's court time.

Hi

Has anyone had a problem returning goods to dabs.com. I really would like to know if I am the only one with a problem because I am having to take this issue to the small claims court.

regards

Stephen George
    www.redreminder.co.uk

Bought stuff. Delivered okay and worked okay, so no complaints.

Good luck.

Comment

What is your problem? Since March 31st the onus is on the supplier to prove the goods were in a fit date for the purpose supplied rather than the customer having to prove they were faulty or damaged, etc, and the supplier has to cover the return postage costs. I am not a legal expert but info can be found below:

www.adviceguide.org.uk/in..._index.htm

Comment

I used to love Dabs and even had the dabs cup and pen.

Hi

I have never had a problem with DABS until now. In fact most of my computer kit came from dabs. I have even got the dabs pen and cup as rewards. However now that I want to return goods because they don't work as described they said the below. Now they won't even talk to me
        so I am going to court. I just wondered if anyone else had had a similar problem.

regards

Stephen

Dear Sir/Madam,

This was an unassisted internet purchase and hence no pre-sales advice
        was given nor any statements made with reference to the suitability of
        this product for your own purposes. Therefore this product is fit for
        its normal purpose as defined by the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) and
        is free from defect as demanded by the same legislation. As such this
        product cannot be rejected and refund or replacement supplied under the
        Sale of Goods Act (as amended).

and

Hello,

Unfortunately we are unable to sell that again with no loss to
        ourselves so we cannot comply with the Distance Selling Regulation
        and sell on used parts. We cannot accept that part back for a full
        or partial refund or exchange. For full details of the directive
        please see www.legislation.hmso.gov....002334.htm

Comment

Re: I used to love Dabs and even had the dabs cup and pen.

I think you need to go to that url I posted, read the pdf file about buying goods over the Internet, read the bit about the law changing as of March 31st and it now being a criminal offence if X is not done, cut and paste it into an email or quote it over the phone and you should suddenly find a completely different attitude.

If, of course, you bought the wrong part then you are stuffed as you made the mistake and not the vendor. However, if it is the product you wanted but is faulty in some form then the pdf tells you what to do.

Best of luck.

Comment

I've had stuff from Dabs but never needed to return.

What was the kit and what was the problem. Distance selling lets you change your mind in 7 day for any reason but kit has to be returned in saleable condition I think - that is what they are moaning about.

Give us some more details please - including value - it is not normal but they can counterclaim for you wasting their time on a frivolous claim so it could cost you more than the tenner or whatever.

Comment

Hi all

The cost of the goods were about £175 ish. The product was an ADSL router. I spent three days trying to get it to work and finally phoned the manufacturer help line. They spent about 60 minutes trying to get it to work without success. I bought another different make of router and it works fine. So I decided to return the goods.

The first problem I had is that although the router is for my mum and the Inland Revenue would consider this a personal expense I used my company debit card. So long distance selling act is out the window.
              The moral of that story is always use a personal credit card and register as an individual not as a contractor. The moment you enter a company name in the box you lose rights.

Dabs now refuse to even talk to me saying

"..............
              The only way this can be returned is if ****** give you a reference number that when we ring it they confirm they will give dabs.com a full credit for this opened and used item. .........."
              (This is a part of an email they sent me - (***** is the manufacturer)

and later

"......... If ******* agree the refund we will issue a returns number. if you are not willing to do this as far as we are concerned the matter is closed and we will not enter into any more correspondence with you regarding this. ......"
              (This is a part of an email they sent me)

So I am going to court. My basic statement to the county court is
              "Under the sale of goods act 1979 goods must be as discribed. I bought an ADSL modem gateway from Dabs.com PLC. It requires an ADSL Internet service to work. However the product does not work with my ADSL Internet service. A replacement cheaper product with a similar sales discription works fine. "

Dabs has filled a defense. So it is now court time.

Stephen George
              www.redreminder.co.uk

Comment

Where does it say you lose your rights. The Trade Descriptions Act applies to any purchasers and any sellers does it not? I think you need to actually sit down and read that buying over the internet pdf on the Citizens Advice Bureau's website to establish your legal rights.

Comment

I was under the impression that distance selling applied to any class of purchaser too (but I have not checked)

As the small claim is already filed it all seems a bit too late now. £175 for an ADSL router seems a bit steep - did it have the modem built in too. I'd want modem + wireless for that money.

This does highlight the benefit in using somebody like PC World (which I only usually do if I want something very quick or the stuff is fairly cheap anyway). I bought a couple of wireless network gizmos - the pc card one worked with my wireless router (bought online) fine but the netgear usb one would not play the game. I tried netgear support and got a load of baloney (in fact I think the real problem lies in windows xp but that's another story) so I just took it back to PC World and they swapped it out for a different one (Intel) which worked just fine.

Forgot to mention - I'd had it 6 months - it worked fine peer-peer but wouldn't work in infrastructure mode

Comment

Hi

Dab.com have said in their defense statement "It was also noticed but not mentioned that as a business purchase, this also excludes MR S George from returning these goods under "Distance Selling Regulations".

So I just assumed that the statement was correct. If the statement is wrong I am sure the judge will put them right.

I have not looked as the The Trade Descriptions Act. I just looked at the Sale of goods act which states that "goods must be as described". The goods were described as an Wireless ADSL router which required an ADSL service provider. I met the requirement. But the kit did not work. Hense I wanted my money back. Dabs disagree. Hense court case.

The intersting this is that the ADSL router in question is a Netgear 824M.
                    Do you mind if I use your last post in court fiddleabout?

regards

Stephen George
                    www.redreminder.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X