• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rates

I am considering taking a contract/consulting role and will be negotiating rate/terms directly with the client. What's the standard practice for quoting day rates on a financial services contract - are these usually inclusive or exclusive of VAT?
    Thanks.

exclusive

Comment

Originally posted by mocha
      I am considering taking a contract/consulting role and will be negotiating rate/terms directly with the client. What's the standard practice for quoting day rates on a financial services contract - are these usually inclusive or exclusive of VAT?
      Thanks.
      I would say exclusive

Comment

To put it in perspective, all businesses claim VAT back so they are not actually paying VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
          To put it in perspective, all businesses claim VAT back so they are not actually paying VAT.
          Those selling mainly excempt items can't. This is Banks and Insurance Companies.

Neither can Local Authorities.

HTH

tim

Comment

Unless they are banks or HMG...

The correct answer is to quote exclusive of VAT as eveyone says, but make sure you add "Plus VAT" so they are clear about it. It won't affect the outcome to you but might make an impact on their budgetting if they can't reclaim VAT.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
              Those selling mainly excempt items can't. This is Banks and Insurance Companies.

Neither can Local Authorities.

HTH

tim
              We are talking about them claiming VAT back from the money charged by people supplying them. I'm sure every bank is VAT registered and claims back everything they legally can.

Comment

I'm sure there are some ghost comapnies and internal chargin taking place to hide from the VAT man.

Comment

We are talking about them claiming VAT back from the money charged by people supplying them. I'm sure every bank is VAT registered and claims back everything they legally can.
                  I did hear of someone discovering his bank/finance house owned a long-standing but dormant company that was VAT registered. He promptly woke it up and made it into the outsource provider of his employers' IT services and infrastructure. Saved several million a year.

I'd be very surprised if he was the only one to have spotted that option, but banks cannot reclaim VAT on their core businesses, which is why he had to use a pre-existing company and not just set up a new one.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Banks are a complicated issue. Some of the minor services that they do are Vatable, but their core services are excempt.

A company which only makes excempt supplies may not register for VAT.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X