• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

puting company's web address on clients' internal mail systems.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puting company's web address on clients' internal mail systems.

My client gave me an internal emailbox that I use for work. ( Lotus 6.5 feck ,that is about to kill me after I got used to the sleek Outlook 07 )

Simply , is it acceptable to put my company web address details in my email Signature line ? I wanna do that coz this will have my web address in many company mailboxes. Thus I will be more easy to find should they need me later ?

I know I have to talk to the Manager about it , I just wanted to see what others think/do.

Do what I do. Forward your mail from your coy mail address to your real e-mail address and mail people from that.

You shouldnt be usnig coy e-mail systems, you should provide everything that you need.

Comment

Ethically I would not, seeing as you are contracted to your client, I doubt they would appreciate it. However there is no harm in asking first.

Comment

I suppose you could put it in as an alternative email contact in your signature.

I normally place my contact details in the code in Comments. At the top of every class I write etc. This has proven to be quite handy for people.
        threenine.co.uk
        Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          Do what I do. Forward your mail from your coy mail address to your real e-mail address and mail people from that.

You shouldnt be usnig coy e-mail systems, you should provide everything that you need.
          It is a Sys admin position and they have forced me to use their PC. They don't even allow me to connect my notebook to the network. ( Company policy )

I think we have to put our company contacts in the email signature - even when we use their email system for the time of the contract. This is hinting outisde IR35 isn't it ?
          Last edited by 2uk; 2 June 2007, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39
            I suppose you could put it in as an alternative email contact in your signature.

I normally place my contact details in the code in Comments. At the top of every class I write etc. This has proven to be quite handy for people.
            "Code in Comments" ??? What's this got to be ? The email Disclaimer ?

Comment

Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

They are very unlikely to appreciate it - as a senior sysadmin I can guarantee that. No organisation I have worked in, in the last 16 years at least has allowed a non-company laptop etc to be plugged into the main network, except in extreme circumstances, eg investigating a complete network collapse etc. Within the IT department you are a contractor, and need to be sure of your status there - and define it. As far as end users are concerned - especially if IT has been outsourced, within the organisation - you are just part of IT / the outsourcing company. If you insist on stating your external credentials, you may be in for a very short contract. Also do you really want the very high quality end users that you deal with, emailing / ringing you at home 6 months after your contract has finished, saying "XXX has stopped working again". Trust me, they will do it at the worst moments! Or maybe you deal with higher quality users than I do

Comment

Dmini , do you contract or permie ?

Comment

Working...
                  X