• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice regarding negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice regarding negotiation

Hi everyone

A quick query about contract negotiation from a relative newbie if someone can help?

I've seen two positions advertised; both look like they're for the same job but from different agencies. One is paying up to £350, the other unspecified. I sent my CV both.

The agency with the unspecified rate called me back today and said they'd put me forward at a rate of 'around' £300/day.

My question is, if I believe I am worth, say £320/day, should I say this before the interview should I even get one, or is it common to 'bump up' your requested rate should you be offered the position?

Just wondering what you guys' opinion is?

Negotiate like you have sex. Hard, fast and short.

My negotiation tends to be along the lines of: "I want XXX per day." If they dont pay it they dont pay it.

Comment

Hi

some advice needed with regards to working overtime, weekends and bank holidays. How would a contractor negotiate if they are required to work on these days? What do most clients/agencies pay?

I have been offered days in leiu for weekends and bank holidays, but no overtime for extra hours worked in the week days.

Please advise

Comment

Originally posted by ar786
        Hi

some advice needed with regards to working overtime, weekends and bank holidays. How would a contractor negotiate if they are required to work on these days? What do most clients/agencies pay?

I have been offered days in leiu for weekends and bank holidays, but no overtime for extra hours worked in the week days.

Please advise
        Every agency that approaches me learns that they won't get my services unless

a) Overtime weekdays is paid at 1.5 x rate
        b) Weekends & bank holidays are at 2 x rate
        c) If your week is say 37 hours, and in a week falls a bank holiday, the total hours for that week is 4/5 x 37 - anyhting worked over is overttime.

All that stuff about days in lieu is the stuff for permies and might catch you in to IR35

Comment

Hi

Please advise
          I've always been happy enough with days in leiu but make it clear to the client it's only in exceptional circumstances and I would say it generally works in your favour as they then owe you when you need a favour. Any extra hours in the week I also make sure I get them back either officially or unofficially. If you keep it unofficial then again I reckon it usually works in your favour once you factor in a few early departures and the odd long lunch hour that you are using to sqaure things up. If they are keeping close tabs on you and expect work for nothing then its time to move on !

Comment

Hi

Please advise
            I get paid by the day. Unless it's in my contract for extra that's it.

If the work is necessary for project reasons I do it and get paid, if it's not necessary I don't do it and don't get paid.

I have a life, I am unavailable to the client over Bank Holidays and certain weeks of the year.

I do not do TIL.

That is all.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
              Every agency that approaches me learns that they won't get my services unless

a) Overtime weekdays is paid at 1.5 x rate
              b) Weekends & bank holidays are at 2 x rate
              c) If your week is say 37 hours, and in a week falls a bank holiday, the total hours for that week is 4/5 x 37 - anyhting worked over is overttime.

All that stuff about days in lieu is the stuff for permies and might catch you in to IR35
              Isn't overtime a permie / IR35 thing anyway ?

I get paid by the "professional" day, My Co chooses which days that I will supply my services in order for the contractual deliverables to be met.

If that means working weekend / BH then I do at the normal rate, although if it is for a specific piece of work [ i.e. Cutover Support ] then that is an additional task and can be paid for as a one-off purchase order at the value My Co deems fit.
              Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                I get paid by the day. Unless it's in my contract for extra that's it.

If the work is necessary for project reasons I do it and get paid, if it's not necessary I don't do it and don't get paid.

I have a life, I am unavailable to the client over Bank Holidays and certain weeks of the year.

I do not do TIL.

That is all.
                How can you have TIL when you're on contract anyway ??
                If your contract stipulates x days per week then surely thats inside IR35 ?
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
                  How can you have TIL when you're on contract anyway ??
                  If your contract stipulates x days per week then surely thats inside IR35 ?

Agree with the TIL comment...but don't agree that stipulating 'x' days per week puts you inside IR35...otherwise nearly every contractor I know would fall inside of of IR35. Mind you, if you wanted to cover yourself, then just play the game...my understanding is that if this were to fall within IR35 it is because you are being told when to work...so simply turn it on its head and tell your client that your terms, if they wish to employ your services, are that your company's standard working hours are 9-5 Mon-Fri and they must accomodate that. That way, despite the client getting what they want, you have evidence that you are dictating your own working hours.
                  Property advisor for the people

Comment

Originally posted by cojak

I do not do TIL.

That is all.
                    Goddammit, another contractor with a work/life balance. Welcome...
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                    X