• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

negotiating rate rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

negotiating rate rise

The contract I'm on was due to finish tomorrow but the client has just approached me to say they're wanting to extend my contract for another six weeks but also to switch me to working shifts as opposed to days as now.

I don't mind shift work but feel that this should warrant some compensation?

Could some of you seasoned pro's please guide me in successfully negotiating a rate increase, I'm guessing you don't talk money with the client, however I'm not sure how to approach the agency over this apart from saying "I want X amount" I'm on a day rate at the moment and wondered if I should also ask to swap to hourly rate?

Cheers

Depends how much you are on. Just pick a figure you are happy with they say yes or no. If yes then great if no then come down a bit or leave.

Comment

How does it actually work, if the agency says yes do they just take a smaller cut or do they go back to the client and say I want more money?

Sorry to sound naive about this, I've just got a feeling my agency will just draw up a new contract and send it to my umbrella company as last time if I don't do anything.

Comment

I always deal with the client. Agencies perform two functions for me: i) introductions to potential clients, and ii) cash flow, where any late paying end clients are their problem, for which they charge a percentage.

If you leave an agency to negotiate, how can the explain your reasons for negotiation?

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads
          I always deal with the client. Agencies perform two functions for me: i) introductions to potential clients, and ii) cash flow, where any late paying end clients are their problem, for which they charge a percentage.

If you leave an agency to negotiate, how can the explain your reasons for negotiation?

I take the opposite view. I never speak to the client about rate rises. I tell the agent what rate I will be available at for the renewal and then it's up to them to decide how/if they want to split that with the client, as frankly, I don't care.

Horses for courses really...

To the OP, do you want to do shiftwork? If so, then set the rate you would be willing to accept, if not, find another gig.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
          X