• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and homeworking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and homeworking

Current client wants me to work from home as much as I can days are of my choosing unless I really need to be in for something.

To work from home through they gave me a load of paper work to sign, most of reviews to me as a 'Home Worker' and 'Home Address'. I have changed all this to 'Consultant' and 'Consultants Business Address Office etc' and that I will be using equipment owned by xxxxx Ltd (my ltd)

The thing is though a lot of the paper work implies they have health and safety responsility for me at home, is that usually the case or only for employees ? Should I say I wont sign these and that health and safety issues of my business office are my responsibility.

The H&S at your reg office has nothing to do with them, this sort of stuff is only when you are an employee.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor1
      Current client wants me to work from home as much as I can days are of my choosing unless I really need to be in for something.

To work from home through they gave me a load of paper work to sign, most of reviews to me as a 'Home Worker' and 'Home Address'. I have changed all this to 'Consultant' and 'Consultants Business Address Office etc' and that I will be using equipment owned by xxxxx Ltd (my ltd)

The thing is though a lot of the paper work implies they have health and safety responsility for me at home, is that usually the case or only for employees ? Should I say I wont sign these and that health and safety issues of my business office are my responsibility.
      I would be wary of this, because it appears you are being controlled by the client even at your own premises.

I would refuse to sign (if advised by your legal or tax advisor).

As it happens, being on site or working from home has no bearing on IR35 provided the reasons for doing both are sound business reasons (security or access to key interdependent personnel) which are understood and agreed by you and don't smack of unnecessary client controls to supervise your work or hours.

This is rather different than the advice on the IR website, so I am sticking to my guns and ensuring that I run my business out of my home office on my terms as much as possible. Mainly because I want to run by business efficiently and not travel unnecessarily with no benefit to my co or the client, not because I want to avoid IR35.

Comment

Working...
      X