• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C++ for stable future?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Have they dumbed the requirements down enough to get Churchill out of his permie job?
    I thought you were going to start being nice?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
      I thought you were going to start being nice?

It was too good an opportunity to miss
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
        The performance difference at runtime between java and C++ today is negligible. Sounds like the problems there are more architecture rather than down to choice of language.

The difference in time taken to create and maintain programs in Java and C++ however is not negligible.
        Maybe Java has improved but a few years ago, the bank I worked at had a lot of problems with things like garbage collection (completely stopping the application at peak trading times), incompatible java libraries etc etc, to the extent where the applications were no easier to maintain. In any case the main problem with maintenance in C++ was due to lack of standard containers (eg vectors), a major headache which has now been solved.
        Developing in C++ these days is quite simple.

In my experience maintainability is due to design and organisation rather than choice of language.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          In my experience maintainability is due to design and organisation rather than choice of language.
          I agree. It's just as easy to make a complete mess in any language.

Having said that, I do think there are a lot of positive things about Java and C# in as much as being a tidied up C++ with 99% of the power. But at the end of the day if you don't want limitations and want full control, C++ is the best tool.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

C++ replaced quicker than COBOL

But if we compare with COBOL, is it resonable to think C/C++ will be replaced quicker? (I can imagine that COBOL is good at what it is doing, and C/C++ had some disadvantages compared to it)

Oscar

Comment

Working...
            X