• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Paris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adamski
    Thanks for the advice TazMan but doesn't really do it for me since I'm female but will keep it in mind. Paris sounds like fun - lots of shopping, and it would be an experience - good or bad - we shall see!
    I had a good year in Paris but its 10 years ago now. You need to speak to agents, accountants and ultimately the taxman to suss out the best way of being paid, the IR helplines will probably be a decent source of info. I would think if you aren't outside the UK for a full April to April tax year you'll be UK tax resident and working through a Uk Ltd would be fine and less hastle than other routes. Getting a flat and sorting yourself out initially could be a pain without good French. You'll need to be on decent money to get a centralish flat, the burbs can be grim. There is a decent english expat scene over there if you want a rest from speaking french !

Comment

Originally posted by Adamski
      Thanks all. This is going to be harder than I thought. Can anyone suggest a good accountant? I'm looking at all the posts about expenses etc and a bit over my head to be honest, but sounds like the simplest thing would be to charge a daily rate that would cover my accommodation and flights back to the UK every week and living expenses. Although that would mean I would pay Income tax on that and that hardly seems fair!
      Don't know if this helps but what I did was:-

1) Charged my fee.
      2) Agreed with client 200 gbp pw flights, 300 gbp accomodation.
      3) Kept as many receipts as I could, Train tickets the works.

I itemised 2 on the invoices. I submitted expense claims to myco which mirrored 2 and paid them to me. Our accountants (not unreasonably) had a bit of a head fit.

When investigated I did expect some bother from HMIT about the expenses. They checked some of the cliams, compared them to what receipts were attached etc. Ultimately they charged me a 1000 bik and called it even.

This strategy may not suit those of a cautious disposition.

Paris is pleasant in August, other than that it ain't great IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
        Paris is pleasant in August, other than that it ain't great IMO.
        Paris is pleasant in August because the Parisians are all away on holiday. That should tell you something.

If you love Paris (as a tourist), ask yourself if it is always wise to marry a mistress.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          Paris is pleasant in August because the Parisians are all away on holiday.
          Quite. Paris would be fine were it not for the bloody Parisians. Still most of them are finely balanced. A chip on both shoulders.

Comment

Working...
          X