• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle Apps contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle Apps contracting?

Hi
    I'm thinking of contracting for a year or 2 in the UK/Europe - arriving in time for what passes for summer this year. What are contractor rates and opportunities like for Oracle apps, tech, func, BI, DBA people? Thinks look not too flash from my recent searches...

Thanks!!

Originally posted by Captain Kangaroo
    Hi
    I'm thinking of contracting for a year or 2 in the UK/Europe - arriving in time for what passes for summer this year. What are contractor rates and opportunities like for Oracle apps, tech, func, BI, DBA people? Thinks look not too flash from my recent searches...

Thanks!!

Look on jobserve.com for rates.

Welcome to the UK its a great place for contractors, everyone here is so lovely and welcoming, you'd feel right at home.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
      Welcome to the UK its a great place for contractors, everyone here is so lovely and welcoming, you'd feel right at home.

I got told off last time I gave misleading advice to newbies.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Yeah but no but...

Originally posted by SandyDown
        Look on jobserve.com for rates.

Hmm, irony - I've read about that...

But what's the Ora Apps market really really like? Am I going to be living it large or pulling beers for 1GBP/hr in some chain pub? Judging by the number of Brit contractors here in Oz (drinking our beer, taking our jobs, shagging our sheep...) there must be loads work in the UK...
        Last edited by Captain Kangaroo; 6 February 2007, 06:10.

Comment

Captain 6 foot Large Leaping Rat,

Don't dispair, I've just finished a gig with oraclecontractors.com and they were pretty good, they have global search facility, but you must know your stuff and have 2-3 + years experience, I can recommend them for the usual stuff, i.e. they pay on time, they are honest, they take you out for a beer or six and they definitely know the apps side from a techical point of view, unfortunately they can't prevent that fact that you may end up working for an Clown accountant who think's he's a Technical PM .... but such is life....

The BI market in Oracle has taken a little holiday over the last few years, primarily due to lots of crusty clown accountants buying Business Objects and sticking that on their schemas, Oracle is still floundering in trying to get their BI/OLAP solution up and running, although there is still some niche legacy OLAP stuff around (but it's a black art and the rates reflect it)

As regards the London Market which is I assume where you wish to go walkabout, it's not predictable, but you certainly won't walk into a cushy gig and "live it large" 2 hours straight out of LHR, however take what you can get initially to get the cashflow going (and I mean IT related) and then 3-6 months down the line you'll be better able to spot the opportunities....

besides , doesn't being a DBA entail getting calls at all hours of the day & Night because some or other tablespace or backup or accountant has failed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kangaroo
            Hmm, irony - I've read about that...

But what's the Ora Apps market really really like? Am I going to be living it large or pulling beers for 1GBP/hr in some chain pub? Judging by the number of Brit contractors here in Oz (drinking our beer, taking our jobs, shagging our sheep...) there must be loads work in the UK...
            The amount of Antipodean contractors I've met here in the last year would suggest it's balanced.
            The option for pulling pints has unfortunately now gone to the Poles who are cheaper, prettier (girls) and don't have the whiney attitude.

All the jobs have gone, or are in the process of going to Bangalore - see Bob Shawadiwadi for more details if you are interested in working out there

Perhaps you would be better off staying put
            HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Subcontinentals...

Originally posted by Troll
              All the jobs have gone, or are in the process of going to Bangalore - see Bob Shawadiwadi for more details if you are interested in working out there

HTH
              Bob's mates are appearing here too - they are using a 457 visa which is similar to an H1B - they are tied to an employer so can't look for competitive rates!
              Last edited by Captain Kangaroo; 14 February 2007, 04:34.

Comment

Working...
              X