• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating rate after role offered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating rate after role offered

1. I've got a potential contract and at first the agent asked me for a daily rate. This was before I had any information on the role, if I get offered the role can I up the rate I stated then?

2. How are Hays at negotiating with B&C about contracts (IR35)?

Cheers Folks

I usually ask the agent what the market rate is. And say I need more information before giving a rate. Sometimes rate has to be quoted before putting forward a CV - hopefully this is not the case.

The agent will usually be against other agents so will be keen to ensure they get the gig.

Of course you can ask for what rate you want at any point - you can always say you have had another offer at x% more. Its best is you have another offer! Else it depends on your negotiating skills.

Comment

Go to the interview, get the offer from the client, and then negotiate with the agency. They'll try to make you stick to your original quote - so that they can cream off as much as possible. However once the client has offered you the job, then the agent will not want to lose you.

Don't go stupidly higher than your initial quote, but do be happy with the rate you will work on, otherwise you'll fret about it later.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
        Go to the interview, get the offer from the client, and then negotiate with the agency. They'll try to make you stick to your original quote - so that they can cream off as much as possible. However once the client has offered you the job, then the agent will not want to lose you.

Don't go stupidly higher than your initial quote, but do be happy with the rate you will work on, otherwise you'll fret about it later.
        What sort of % do you suggest upping it by? Anything upto 20% for starters or is that too high? 10-15% ?

I've never lost a gig by trying to get a better rate, but I've never pushed really hard in the past either to pi$$ anyone off.
        -------------
        Cactus

Comment

Just 20%, however this will be my first contract, im currently a permie but they don't know yet so I can afford to turn it down.

Comment

You can renegotiate, however 20% is a bit steep. The main problem will be the client, not the agent. Up to about 5% the agent can eat into his margin, but 20% will mean the agent renegotiating with the client. It depends on whether you were way too low to begin with. It your quote was well below market rates for your experience, there would be no problem.

You can of course just tell the agent you've been offered 20% extra elsewhere, and the decision to accept has been made "more difficult", and take it from there. If you feel in the coversation you might be too high just mention this alternative contract is "further away" to the open the door for a lesser rise.

In future quote a higher rate, agents will always try prod for a lower rate if there really is a ceiling. You then say "I would consider a lower rate, but it depends on the work, blah blah bla".

...ah I see you haven't been for the interview yet. At this stage no sweat. The agent will ring you up to ask how it went, at that point state your rate.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 January 2007, 09:48.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

One thing I will re-iterate is that you must be happy with the rate offered. It really doesn't matter as much how much your skills are worth or that xomeone else is earning more etc. Horses for courses, just be happy with what ur getting paid yourself otherwise you will fret about it later during your contract.

Also it's always much easier to state initially what rate you want - highball it - and let the agent negotiate for you. Once in a contract you'll be lucky to get substantial rises on renewals.

In 2 years I've only got a 3% rise on my rate - but I was happy with the initial rate and still am happy with what I'm getting, so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Hays aren't brilliant at negotiating with B&C.
                My contract came through as a "marginal pass" without amendments. The contract could not be changed, the schedule can - certainly on some contracts. However, I believe there are some variants that are a straight fail, based on other peoples comments on this forum
                I've now got to the point of telling the agency that my acceptance is subject to B&C successful negotiations! I had one horrendous contract, which was an outright, non-negotiable fail, which I backed out of on receipt of paperwork.
                B&C will be helpful the first time, and give an unofficial look over maybe. They were to me!However, to get anything firm out - letter, negotiations etc, you need to pay

Comment

I got the contract at my original rate as its a good client and the rate is good. So after joining CUK in July 06 and reading/posting im finally a contractor .

Thanks to everyone who gave advice

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                    1. I've got a potential contract and at first the agent asked me for a daily rate. This was before I had any information on the role, if I get offered the role can I up the rate I stated then?

2. How are Hays at negotiating with B&C about contracts (IR35)?

Cheers Folks
                    Congrat's but please note that Hays do not negotiate re their contracts - mine at JP Morgan was really bad and fell inside IR35, they wouldn't negotiate ... good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X